Bands that sound like old Opeth

There's this band called Camel that totally ripped off loads of Opeth's songs...

Aggaloch sound quite similar, actually.

There's this band called Camel that totally ripped off loads of Opeth's songs...

Aggaloch sound quite similar, actually.
Im on the fence with the Agalloch similarities. Maybe "I am The Wooden Doors" is Opeth-esque...thats about the only song that is similar to me. Which songs in particular do you think?

Im on the fence with the Agalloch similarities. Maybe "I am The Wooden Doors" is Opeth-esque...thats about the only song that is similar to me. Which songs in particular do you think?

I can't name individual songs because I haven't listened to them in a while now, but more than anything it's the general atmosphere and the vibe you get.

I don't really find Agalloch to be that much Opethlike. They're closer to Anathema and Katatonia than Opeth, especially the laid back repetitive riffing. To be honest, I only heard The Mantle though. The closest I've seen, barring those three myspace bands mentioned by Qth (some of which are very similar), is Dark Suns's first album Swanlike.

Some would also say Farmakon, which i disagree with.

Yeah well, Opeth - despite stealing loads from seventies prog and to a lesser extent Morbid Angel - do have a sound of their own, which is quite difficult to pin down and replicate.

Check out Dark Tranquillity's Very First Album and other demos around that time... written before At The Gates and Opeth's early stuff and sounds very good... seems like a lot of people havn't heard their really old stuff.

Sorry if there was a similar thread but I didn't come across it, anyway.

I was wondering if any one knows of any bands that sound like old Opeth, specifically all acoustic bands. I really love the acoustic stuff from Orchid and Morningrise so I was wondering if there is any bands that play music similar to that. Any band sugestions are appreciated, Thanks in advance.

\m/

Try Ulver's Kveldssanger album, it's really really good acoustic stuff.
Also check out Tenhi, they're an all-acoustic Finnish band and also great.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replys, and im getting around to hearing a little bit from each band but may i add, i said all acoustic bands and by that i meant i wanted songs that sound like the acoustic parts from songs like Black Rose Immortal, to bid you farewell, still day beneith the sun etc.

There's a French 'Black Metal' (they seem to think of themselves as black metal - i'd say prog metal.. but meh) band called 'Artefact' ... Their album Magic Spellcraft, whilst not necessarily that similar to old Opeth.. Is inspired by them and has enough similaritys for some Opeth fans to possibly get some enjoyment out of them.

They're worth checking out for some people here.