Similar to Opeth Bands?

This is why Opeth is the best band in the world.There are no other like it.There might be similarities but you can't say something like ( I am not an expert here might be wrong but you get it) Therion sounds similar to Haggard or Nightwish because these bands are really closer in style than Opeth is to any other band.( Again I may be wrong on Haggard,Nightwish and Therion similarity but it sounds so)

One of the best things about Opeth is their incredible ability to combine dark and light in a seamless fashion. I'm sure Opeth have enough "mellow" songs that you could make an outstanding compilation burn. Look at the death vocals as a musical instrument. There's a reason that Akerfeldt includes them, as well as the "clean". I think it's all a holistic approach to his composition, for what ever he is trying to convey with any song. Excellent songwriting and band. Don' let the vocals ruin your experience. After all, they fit almost perfectly. Give "Orphaned Land-Mabool" a listen.

1+, well said imo.

On topic: check out In mourning and recent procupe tree stuff

and probably some dan swanö as well/edge of sanity

Ill certainly have to check out these bands - closest band to Opeth for me is my recent discovery of Enslaved. But if you are looking for quality progressive bands have a look at post metal like The Ocean (who are supporting Opeth on their UK tour this year) - or Cult of Luna, Neurosis, Pelican :kickass:

There's an Opeth-inspired band named April Ethereal (Poland) that does a decent job of making Opeth-like music.

Try 'em. They sure seem to like H.P Lovecraft too. Just look at these song titles:
The Shadow Of Nyarlathotep
Behind The Wings Of Cthulhu

http://www.myspace.com/aehqcom

They've got two albums: Advent and Al Azif.

Edit: eh...they didn't have some shitty female singer before...this is news to me.

http://www.myspace.com/aeadvent - better example

I don't think anyone can sound quite like them. They could have their own genre, and I would call it Pethmetal!

HAA HAa Ha ha h Uhhhh. What?

No but seriously. One unique fucking band.

There's an Opeth-inspired band named April Ethereal (Poland) that does a decent job of making Opeth-like music.

Try 'em. They sure seem to like H.P Lovecraft too. Just look at these song titles:
The Shadow Of Nyarlathotep
Behind The Wings Of Cthulhu

http://www.myspace.com/aehqcom

They've got two albums: Advent and Al Azif.

Edit: eh...they didn't have some shitty female singer before...this is news to me.

http://www.myspace.com/aeadvent - better example

Yes!! :heh:I have that album -Advent. They have a slight Opeth sound, but are great prog black metel. I love the ambient/atmospheric bonus track.

No.

I love that band, but no.

I dont know if you have realized it too but most of the bands posted here do not bear much similarity to Opeth other than being merely metal. Either people are suggesting some cool bands to other guys or show their deep metal knowledge. (I dont want to think that they indeed see similarity :p)

^ To be honest there's hardly any bands that sound that similar to Opeth, so I think the general idea is Opeth influenced bands that go beyond the traditional style of death/doom/black metal or whatever, as do Opeth.
I don't know if Ikuinen Kaamos has been mentioned yet but anyway they bare some similarities, especially their new album (Epilogue) which is coming out soon.
http://www.myspace.com/ikuinenkaamos

A good band to check out would be My Dying Bride. If you haven't already heard them. Not similar to Opeth in any way. But they sort of have same dynamics and mood. Lots of both growl and clean vokals.

Two god albums to hear would be. The Dreadful Hours and A Line of Deathless Kings (My personal favorite).

I dont know if you have realized it too but most of the bands posted here do not bear much similarity to Opeth other than being merely metal.

Either we've got a lot of metal n00bs who don't do a whole lot of digging into lesser known bands or their hearing and genre interpretation is flawed.

As others have said, 'peth stands out because they're so unique. That makes it difficult to recommend other bands that sound like them. HOWEVER, there are bands out there that come close or have some of the same elements. Some of these suggestions are good (not many). Others are way, way, wayyyy off the mark (the majority).

To the thread starter: This is a recycled topic (one of about 25 repeated themes), go through a bunch and you'll find some bands you like.

It seems that if you like Opeth, then you're about guaranteed to like Agalloch, Porcupine Tree, Enslaved, Candlemass.....and even Camel I guess....though none of them are even close in sound. Start with those. Also, you might like some Post-Rock/Metal bands like Isis, Red Sparowes, Pelican, and Magyar Posse. If you dig those, I recommend Yndi Halda next (nothing "metal" about it though). One of the guys here (Pethical?) has a pretty sweet post-rock band, Sleep Makes Waves (I think)....check that out too.

Like 'peth's doomier moments? There's no reason you shouldn't like modern doom metal either. I don't really like them, but you might like Saturnus (kind of melodic) or Antestor (doom/black). If you like that, try out fucking CRUSHING funeral doom bands like Ahab (the best), Worship, Colosseum, Wraith of the Ropes, and Shape of Despair. Mmmmmm, disEMBOWELMENT.

As for the DM side of Opeth, people will tell you to listen to Scar Symmetry or Soilwork (for their melodic style), but don't listen to them. Those bands don't qualify. Daylight Dies may work for you. I might recommend In Vain. You might like Arghoslent too (not Opethian in the least, but awesome). Can't recommend Anata enough. Deuterium. ya..

Again, not one of these bands sounds much like Opeth. That April Ethereal suggestion I mentioned earlier is probably the closest at times. I'm sure you'll find something in there that you like.

*oh one more - if anyone would like to hear REAL Tech Black metal, check out Drottnar right now. Way better than that Axamenta shit.

Like I posted earlier, Insomnium's second is the only one that is a bit similair to Opeth. I mentioned the Camel riff last night, to Mikael (from Porcelain Heart) that is found on Camel's 2nd album, in the song Lady Fantasy. He just grinned. Yeah, Indrid, people should check out April Ethereal, even if people don't care one way, or another of Opeth comparisons. They're real good.