Opeth is similar to..........

I would most definitely recommend My Arms Your Hearse, it is utterly beautiful and powerful. However, every Opeth album is superb, and the easiest to get into are probably Morningrise, Still Life and Blackwater Park.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
I have had a similar question. But instead of creating a new thread "Hi, I'm new hear - what album to buy?" that happens 1000's of times I've thought this is a good place to ask. What album should I buy? For starters anyway. I'm a progger more than a death-metaler. Most people from the SyX borad say Blackwater Park is a good place to start. But alot of people from the JP forum say "Still Life" is a good place to start. What do you guys say?
I'm glad to see you getting into real progressive music (not power metal pretending to be prog, LOL). They're influenced by death metal but are a progressive band, not a death metal band. I'd say buy Blackwater Park first, even if it's not their best it is the ideal first album to buy.

Posted by Kate Bush Rules!
I'm glad to see you getting into real progressive music (not power metal pretending to be prog, LOL).

AGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Symphony X is fucking prog!!!!! lol
smile.gif

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
AGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Symphony X is fucking prog!!!!! lol
I like SyX too, but they sound like they could easily be from the 80s, and there really isn't anything progressive about that. Also, they haven't really significantly changed their sound since The Divine Wings of Tragedy.

OWN3D.

I would say for anyone who wants to get into Opeth, just listen to The Leper Affinity. It pretty much gives you everything. If you like it, you'll like all of their stuff, if not, you'll like nothing they do. BWP is where I started, then Morningrise. I still need Orchid. I didn't get into MAYH right off the bat. Probably not the best place to start.