So WHY does Opeth refuse to play new material on tour?!

Or maybe, each member should play diffrent song and all in same time. That way the get trough almost every song in one gig and everyone is happy!

Personally, I find it hard to complain when Opeth try to accommodate everyone by including songs from almost all of their albums. I completely understand people wanting more older/newer songs in the set list, but Opeth do change it up with each leg of a tour. You are bound to hear more songs off of a current release if you go to multiple legs. I've been to my fair share of shows and in that time I've seen everything off of Still Life except Moonlapse Vertigo (really wish they would play this one already...LOL!), most of MAYH, three songs from Morningrise, all Damnation, everything from Deliverance (they haven't played By the Pain), and half of BWP. At some point they will play more from GH and WS.

SO at the time Ghost Reveries was the new Opeth cd and my fave cd they come to Philly and play two songs and now the new Watershed cd comes out and is just as incredible and they come here and again only play two songs off it!!!!!!!!!! On top of it, they only played two off of Ghost Reveries!!!! As good as the show was and as many times as I have caught Opeth live I think I may skip the next few shows due to this HUGE misstep, what is wrong with them? My wife and I love this band more than any other in the past so why they skip the new cd on each tour is just incredible!
It seems like they try to mix the new & the old and there just isnt time to overplay one album because others will be neglected. There are some bands (In Flames) who almost exclusively play newer material & forget all about older records. Im glad Opeth has not dropped their older material in favor of the new.

I'd be down for an all MAYH tour. Or Blackwater Park, though I don't know if they'd want to play very many songs from that album. Personally, I'm glad they don't play very many of their new songs live. It's just not the same. It's not as heavy. After Damnation I feel like the heavyness stopped. Sure, they're still heavy--Heir Apparent is definitely one of the heaviest songs they've done, but they're not as heavy as Orchid or MAYH.

I am not Samsara (obviously), but in speaking to Per and Mike (and the rest of the guys) after the Bmore show, it looks very likely as though they will be back in the States in either Feb. or April for another 4-5 week stint. Also, very likely that they will be adding a few new tracks (from WS) to the set-list. Mike likes the stability of a standard set, therefore, he is most comfortable with staying a bit stagnant as far as rotating songs in and out of the set while on tour. They do rehearse possible additions during soundchecks though... AFAIK they will likely be adding at least one new WS track (if not 2) to the set list next leg of the tour...
LoG,

I hope it's true that they are going to come back to the States. I would love to see them again. I found that variety is better when doing concerts any ways. While I am well versed in the Opeth cd's, my son's are not, and they ended up loving the mixed song's at the Phoenix gig, and it turned them on to their older albums.

I'd be down for an all MAYH tour. Or Blackwater Park, though I don't know if they'd want to play very many songs from that album. Personally, I'm glad they don't play very many of their new songs live. It's just not the same. It's not as heavy. After Damnation I feel like the heavyness stopped. Sure, they're still heavy--Heir Apparent is definitely one of the heaviest songs they've done, but they're not as heavy as Orchid or MAYH.

Orchid is no where near as heavy as BWP/Deliverance. What are you on about?

OK yeah I am dumb sure....Give me more songs off of GR as that is not their new cd anymore. I have been a fan for a long time so I have heard a lot of the older stuff already live and this band keeps progressing so they should keep playing this newer music. Hell, if I could hear 3 or 4 off of Ghost Reveries I would even be happy.

Has somewhat of a point. I can understand it if you've been to a fair few number of their shows and hear the same stuff over and over again. I mean it's quite easy to look at their setlist history and single the songs that they haven't played yet/songs they rarely play and include them in the next tour. It's something for the older/loyal fans too.

I think everyone clamoring for the whole of Watershed to be played live needs to understand how hard it is to sing backwards lyrics.

Has somewhat of a point. I can understand it if you've been to a fair few number of their shows and hear the same stuff over and over again. I mean it's quite easy to look at their setlist history and single the songs that they haven't played yet/songs they rarely play and include them in the next tour. It's something for the older/loyal fans too.

Very true. This is what happened to me with Iron Maiden. I started to feel like every show I went to was the same. But then, to my sheer joy, they played the entirety of A Matter of Life and Death the last I saw them. They played a smattering of faves, too. But, the whole album was a great experience. But for those who were seeing them for the first time (of which there seemed to be quite a few), it was an annoying experience. Some people were really pissed. Me, I was thrilled.

Also, saw Bowie on the Outside tour with NIN, and he played only like 2 songs from his back catalog (The Man Who Sold the World for one iirc). Seeing as it was the first time I saw him, I was kinda pissed. WTF was this new stuff? The new album hadn't even dropped by the time I went to the show. It was infuriating. So I can see it both ways.