the supremacy of opeth

Originally posted by Claire's Horror

learn this: there's a difference between showing support and showing what is mere fanaticism.

Learn this: there's a difference between having some class and showing what a fucking jerkoff is.

boring, boring, boring Opeth adoration threads.

It was this response that showed no class. I'm sorry that I used your sad excuse for posting it when I responded.

There's a difference between positive and negative fanaticism. Anyway, what I see here is someone finding something bigger than his own ego, which is an experience everyone should have now and then.

Originally posted by Lordenlil

Ever thought about this: Some ppl are here also to have fun and joke around. Now if u are all that stuck up, I feel sorry for you. You shouldn't judge ppl so quickly. It's a lot more complicated than just discussion music to the bone... hence stuff like this happens.

You know, when I posted that I was talking about the people who were dissing the thread starter... because joking around or not, the people making fun of him aren't making him feel welcome in any respect. Joking around with each other is different from making fun of a person because he finds Opeth fascinating.

Originally posted by golgotha85
Jesus, why are you all being so hard on this guy?! If being a respectful, dedicated fan is what you call being a "typical metalhead" then count me in... I'd rather be a "fanboy" than an arrogant dick who likes to put people down in internet forums! Listening to sophisticated music doesn't mean you're better than anybody else or have the write to judge other people's opinions. I for one am glad that another Opeth fan can be added to our legions, even if it is through BWP (which is a superior record, I don't care what you fucking "old-skool" lawyer types say!)... I'm ranting again... argh... anyways, lighten up people!

This is what I was attempting to express.

Originally posted by Vortex
There's a difference between positive and negative fanaticism. Anyway, what I see here is someone finding something bigger than his own ego, which is an experience everyone should have now and then.

here's a good quote:

"Fanaticism consists in redoubling efforts when the objective has been forgotten." -George Santayana

hence, there is no such thing as positive fanaticism.

Originally posted by JesterCircle

You know, when I posted that I was talking about the people who were dissing the thread starter... because joking around or not, the people making fun of him aren't making him feel welcome in any respect. Joking around with each other is different from making fun of a person because he finds Opeth fascinating.

no.

Well, then it's not fanatacism. How is saying "I stopped listening to Opeth for a while and got into all these other bands, and when I came back, it still blew me away" something to be such a jackoff about?

here's a good quote:

"Fanaticism consists in redoubling efforts when the objective has been forgotten." -George Santayana

hence, there is no such thing as positive fanaticism.

I'm pretty sure you understand in music discussion fanatic or fanaticism equals fan, merely a person fond of a certain artist, and has for a long time. It has taken a different, lighter meaning as compared to religious fundamentalism for example, and bringing them to same level is not very thoughful.

On the other hand, music is not an objective thing. The listening and enjoying experience is largely subjective, another reason why quotes like that are misplaced here.

you'll find most Opeth fans (by the way, fan is a word only used in the English languaje for these matters; in most languajes the appropiate word would be simply "fond" or "enthusiastic", which in itselves imply a different meaning) tend to lose objectivity when their band is involved in certain discussions (i.e. won't admit that certain album has some low points or that it sounds the same as another one, things like such). some months ago this forum was infested with several threads only dedicated at how Opeth was so superior and great and the best band in the world and how much they masturbated at their albums. if someone would come saying their band wasn't that great -even if he accepted it was a nice band- they all would get worked up and start flaming and telling him to go away.

fanaticism comes at varying levels, and religious fundamentalism is the most extreme of them all. this one, of course, is not even close to that one, but it is still dangerous.

[B
fanaticism comes at varying levels, and religious fundamentalism is the most extreme of them all. this one, of course, is not even close to that one, but it is still dangerous. [/B]

Well aren't we privileged to have some one like you to POLICE this site and make sure that people stay inline!!:lol: :lol:

How about the next time you just don't open up the thread?

This site also has some elitist jerkoffs who find enjoyment bashing others for their own enjoyment so maybe you could start to police them?

Originally posted by Liquid Tension

Well aren't we privileged to have some one like you to POLICE this site and make sure that people stay inline!!:lol: :lol:

This site also has some elitist jerkoffs who find enjoyment bashing others for their own enjoyment so maybe you could start to police them?

police? what makes you think I'm policing this place? I just say how things should be.

Originally posted by LiB
its amazing how quickly an "opeth support" thread can turn into a "bitch at eachother for no apparent reason thread".

chill out, shut up, and remove the big steel poles from your arses.

The forum bears my intolerance mark as a flag :p

Originally posted by Vortex

There is a difference, positive fanaticism is an oxymoron. One can like many bands and artist, but is stupid to elevate them and consider them superior, no matter how ammout of pseudo positive crap you try to push up our asses, we are squishing our butts here, we just know that no ammount of positive things justifies human stupidity, in one of its purest forms: fanatism.

Originally posted by Liquid Tension

he is not the police, he is just my employee, im currently the head of the ASWAT team ( anti spaming whores and twats ) in the DT forum and do volunteer work on this forum too.