Best of Opeth

Iron-Earth

New Metal Member
May 10, 2009
I'm a long time Opeth fan and the other day decided to create a 'Best of Opeth' Double CD and thought I would share the track lists with you guys for feedback :)

CD1 - The Beast of Opeth
01. The Leper Affinity
02. Bleak
03. The Moor (Edit)
04. Godhead's Lament
05. April Ethereal
06. When
07. Heir Apparent
08. Demon Of The Fall
09. In The Mist She Was Standing (Edit)

Total Time: 77:36

CD2 - The Beauty of Opeth
01. Prologue
02. Patterns In The Ivy
03. Patterns In The Ivy II
04. Windowpane
05. In My Time Of Need
06. Requiem
07. Benighted
08. Hours Of Wealth
09. Harvest
10. Credence
11. Madrigal
12. Hope Leaves
13. To Rid The Disease
14. Ending Credits
15. Isolation Years
16. To Bid Farewell
17. Epilogue

Total Time:78:44

I know some of the classic's are missing and that a lot of fan's would say an Opeth best of collection would include 9 CD's but this is for my friends, to give them a good Idea of what Opeth is all about. Any thoughts are welcomed :)

Alec:

Not a bad selection, though I'm partial to the latter part of the opeth discography, whereas you seem to like the earlier stuff better :)

I just burned this to listen in the car (since my car stereo is audio-CD only and I haven't gotten around to fixing that):

1.- Lotus Eater
2.- Deliverance
3.- The Night and the Silent Water (from Roundhouse tapes)
4.- Ghost of Perdition
5.- Leper Affinity
6.- Grand Conjuration
7.- Heir Apparent
8.- Demon of the Fall (from Roundhouse)

It's heavily based on the current setlist (only Grand Conjutarion and Demon of the Fall are not in it), but hey, I'm still riding the concert high :worship:

lol @ Godheads and April over basicly any of the heavy tracks from Deliverance and GR. I like the idea though - the whole one mellow/one clean CD if they ever actually did release something like that.

So yea um...if you're giving your friends CDs, just don't start 'em off with Still Life/MAYH fanboyness as the first CD is pointing to.

This would be pretty easy to like right off to bat imo..

Under the Weeping Moon
The Night and the Silent Water
Demon of the Fall
The Moor
The Drapery Falls
Deliverance
Ghost of Perdition
The Lotus Eater

Disc 1

1. Windowpane
2. Under The Weaping Moon
3. The Drapery Falls
4. The Lotus Eater
5. Master'a Apprentice (Lamentations)
6. Demon Of The Fall (Roundhouse Tapes)
7. Blackwater Park (Roundhoue Tapes)

Disc 2

1. The Moor
2. Ghost Of Perdition
3. Black Rose Immortal

Disc 3 DVD

Backstage Footage
Live Footage
Music Videos
Interviews

"Greatest Hits" and "Best Of" compilations are a bad idea. This thread is another of about......... I can't even count how many.......... of favorite songs, set lists, etc. threads.

Unless Opeth are hurting for fans, which they definitely are not, it's totally unnecessary. It would be nothing more than record company contract bullshit so that they (the record company) can make a few extra $$ on already-released material. If they want to make extra $$ on something I would actually buy, how about some live recordings from past tours. I'm sure Opeth, as well as many other bands, keep their stuff archived......

My .02!

"Greatest Hits" and "Best Of" compilations are a bad idea. This thread is another of about......... I can't even count how many.......... of favorite songs, set lists, etc. threads.

Unless Opeth are hurting for fans, which they definitely are not, it's totally unnecessary. It would be nothing more than record company contract bullshit so that they (the record company) can make a few extra $$ on already-released material. If they want to make extra $$ on something I would actually buy, how about some live recordings from past tours. I'm sure Opeth, as well as many other bands, keep their stuff archived......

My .02!

I'm not suggesting Opeth release a Greatest hits atm, I wanna see the live and another album if possible :p

The problem with CD's is the 80 min max run time :( Cos I wanted Ghost of Perdition, Hessian Peel, Masters Apprentices, Twilight Is My Robe and Grand Conjuration on the heavy one and Face of Melinda and A Fair Judgment for the ambient one.

'Beauty of' actually sounds amazing listening through it!

LOL! at The Gaston of Opeth :rofl:

Just in case anyone is interested I can explain the edits

The Moor (Edit) - 9:35 I just removed the 2 minute opener so it starts with the acoustic lick :)

In The Mist She Was Standing - 5:34 I literally cut away all but the five minute long intro cos it had to go on the CD!

IMO the riff at 7:30 of IMSWS and the acoustic part around 11ish minutes are the best parts. I'm still just offended that you put 3 MAYH songs and 2 SL songs on the heavy one and none from GR or D1.

it should also include a 3rd CD, a very limited edition collection of ''the very worst of Opeth'' filled with all of their worst tracks.

1.Burden
2.By The Pain I See In Others
3.Hours Of Wealth
4.A Fair Judgement
5.Wreath
6.Bleak
7.The Drapery Falls

and of course everyones least favourite

8.The Moor

'IMO the riff at 7:30 of IMSWS and the acoustic part around 11ish minutes are the best parts. I'm still just offended that you put 3 MAYH songs and 2 SL songs on the heavy one and none from GR or D1.'

Well putting them back to back The Moor and Godhead sound great! Basically Ghost of Perdition and Master's A. were too long to fit on. I'm also not a big fan of Deliverance the song. The riff from 9:40 onwards is far to repetitive and gets annoying quickly I find.

A best of?
Would be pretty hard to do, considering everyone has a different fav. opeth song tbh. :p
But personal i would suggest something like this:

--Mellow CD--
1. Windowpane
2. Face Of Melinda
3. Credence
4. Burden
5. Harvest
6. Hope Leaves
7. A Fair Judgement
8. Isolation Years

--Heavy CD--
1. The Moor
2. In Mist She Was Standing
3. When
4. The Drapery Falls
5. Reverie/Harlequin Forest
6. Demon Of The Fall
7. Ghost Of Perdition
8. The Night And The Silent Water
9. The Leper Affinity
10. Deliverance

Something like that, but i've most likely forgotten a track or two.

I'd just bring all of them..

Well yeah that would be ideal :rofl: but it would have to be a LOOOOONG road trip to get through them all! Also most the people I know don't like Opeth in all their glory so I need a soft CD so that I at least get to defend the faith.

Disc one

1. The baying of the hounds
2. Heir apparent

Disc two

1. Hessian Peel
2. Closure

it should also include a 3rd CD, a very limited edition collection of ''the very worst of Opeth'' filled with all of their worst tracks.

1.Burden
2.By The Pain I See In Others
3.Hours Of Wealth
4.A Fair Judgement
5.Wreath
6.Bleak
7.The Drapery Falls

and of course everyones least favourite

8.The Moor

:err: except for by the pain, I completely disagree with this list

I'm a long time Opeth fan and the other day decided to create a 'Best of Opeth' Double CD and thought I would share the track lists with you guys for feedback :)

CD1 - The Beast of Opeth
01. The Leper Affinity
02. Bleak
03. The Moor (Edit)
04. Godhead's Lament
05. April Ethereal
06. When
07. Heir Apparent
08. Demon Of The Fall
09. In The Mist She Was Standing (Edit)

Total Time: 77:36

CD2 - The Beauty of Opeth
01. Prologue
02. Patterns In The Ivy
03. Patterns In The Ivy II
04. Windowpane
05. In My Time Of Need
06. Requiem
07. Benighted
08. Hours Of Wealth
09. Harvest
10. Credence
11. Madrigal
12. Hope Leaves
13. To Rid The Disease
14. Ending Credits
15. Isolation Years
16. To Bid Farewell
17. Epilogue

Total Time:78:44

Yeah, isn't too bad - especially the softer one - but I agree with most of the other people, I'd need to have at the very least 'Ghost Of Perdition', 'Masters Apprentices' and 'Blackwater Park' on the heavy one, so I'd probably trim some of the albums you have doubled up on. But that'd be if I was doing it. It's all down to personal taste in the end, innit?