Bands that are just as good as Opeth

KJones

Oct 16, 2005
Opeth was my favorite band for a long time, and still is, but I also discovered some other bands that even though they are less known, are just as good:

Arcturus
Adagio
Age of Silence
Green Carnation
Peccatum
Solefald
Winds

Everyone who likes Opeth should especially check out the ones in bold.

Any band with Dan Swano in it. When Day Descends, Tristania, Dark Tranquillity, etc

KJones said:
Opeth was my favorite band for a long time, and still is, but I also discovered some other bands that even though they are less known, are just as good:

Arcturus
Adagio
Age of Silence
Green Carnation
Peccatum
Solefald
Winds

I have not even heard of any of these but Green Carnation and Winds, which I am fans of both, but not sure I would put them in the Opeth category.

Everyone has their own opinions on these matters.

I find this thread fairly pointless.

Haha and why should people check out the ones in bold if they like Opeth? None of them have anything to do with Opeth's type of music.

KJones said:

Arcturus
Adagio
Age of Silence
Green Carnation
Peccatum
Solefald
Winds

You can't claim any music "as good" or "better" or "worse" than anything else, but I see what you mean....
I've heard all these except for Adagio, but I don't like them nearly as much as Opeth. The only band that comes even close is Pain of Salvation, but they lose because of their cheesiness.

Hmm, well, I don't know who could match Opeth when it comes to consistency. 8 albums and 8 awesome ones. Who else has done that? No other band to me. Enslaved and Dark Tranquillity are the only 2 that come close to my mind but not all their albums were mindblowing in my book.

I certainly compare Enslaved to Opeth though. Enslaved, for me, do for black metal what Opeth does for death metal.

Other bands I rate with Opeth...

Arcturus
Death
Spiral Architect
Emperor
Between the Buried and Me
Alchemist

Plenty of others, but I look to those ones mainly.

Ikil

I generally don't rate bands as "better" or "as good as" others. Various bands are awesome in different ways and for different reasons. However, some metal bands that I feel are on the same sort of "level" as Opeth might include:

Funeral
Tool
Necrophagist
Emperor
Green Carnation
Katatonia

PhlegethonVeins said:

Haha and why should people check out the ones in bold if they like Opeth? None of them have anything to do with Opeth's type of music.

This is for you...

LAMB OF FUCKING GOD:headbang:

All these bands mentioned are excellent. Its interesting that the all have the similar qualitys. Proggy song structures, Varied vocals, and a Dark beauty to them.

PhlegethonVeins said:

First of all the thread is not pointless, the point of the thread is to introduce people who like Opeth to other quality music as well.

Of course everyone has their own opinion, that is a redundant statement. The whole purpose of a forum is for people to state their own subjective opinions.

And as far as your last statement, I would beg to differ. Just read the comment from a different person right above mine. All the bands I mentioned could be comparable to Opeth on some level.

I found other great bands elsewhere on the forum

similar to opeth: dark tranquility,riverside, winds, porcupine tree, kayo dot, patos, when day descends etc

nothing like opeth but good: dimmu borgir, children of bodom, borknagar - the rest i was going to add have nothing to do with death/prog metal ...

Ikil said:
I certainly compare Enslaved to Opeth though. Enslaved, for me, do for black metal what Opeth does for death metal.

Yeh i feel that too about Enslaved - amazing band.

Bands currently getting me stiff:
Taake
Enslaved
Camel
Pink Floyd
Agalloch
Woods Of Ypres