Any other band good as Opeth?

Let's go down the Black Sabbath vs Opeth checklist.

Vocals? I'm going to have to give this one to Ozzy, he blows Dio and Akerfeldt out of the water.

Songwriting? Black Sabbath definately have the upper hand here. Iommi really shines with those power chords. God, I love power chords. I think Black Sabbath are heavy as hell like some other people. I need to be evaluated by a psychologist.

Drums? Sorry Lopez. There is just so much more variety shown in the Black Sabbath songs. For example: In the verse, the time signature is 4/4 but when it's time to switch to chorus, the time signature is still 4/4. I'm still baffled how Ward was able to pull that one off. I remember listening to the song Heaven & Hell and I couldn't believe how he was able to add that extra hi-hat hit in there during the verse.

If Black Sabbath released "Paranoid" today instead of decades ago, it would still receive the same praise because it is just THAT GOOD. It is definately not deemed a masterpiece just because it is considered a "classic".

T3hLep4rAffinity said:
For example: In the verse, the time signature is 4/4 but when it's time to switch to chorus, the time signature is still 4/4. I'm still baffled how Ward was able to pull that one off.
me too. i finally just decided that it had to be multiple drum tracks recorded at different times. there's no other way to get that sophisticated.

My apologies to the thread starter who probably wanted to know of similar extreme metal acts that are as good as Opeth. Instead we got into a fragmented discussion about some classic bands (in and out of the metal genre). What's important is that Opeth can be mentioned in the same breath as Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Emperor, etc. Torchbearers.

Point is, truly great bands (in whatever genre) don't come out every year. Its more like every few years. The reason why many of us are scratching our heads to come up with a recent example.

Here's a question for you:

Metallica's

--Kill 'Em All
--Ride the Lightning
--Master of Puppets
--And Justice for All

As good, or better, than Opeth?

Risquit said:
Here's a question for you:

Metallica's

--Kill 'Em All
--Ride the Lightning
--Master of Puppets
--And Justice for All

As good, or better, than Opeth?

You can't compare the 2.

The two aren't related in any way but for musicianship i'd say Metallica won because of Cliff Burton.

Trey Parker
spellcheck7ov.jpg