Any other band good as Opeth?

Shadows Skulk said:
ok since approximately no one has even come close to being right in any of their choices, I will put forth an effort

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Bob Dylan
Camel
Frank Zappa
Frédéric Chopin
Rush
Yes

As for metal, I can't think of any band that's as solid as Opeth, but Candlemass and Emperor are up there

Wrong...
Everyone has been right but you...

i can't believe no one has mentioned Arcturus, yet. very atmospheric music. see also Sculptured and Enslaved. none of these bands are as good as Opeth, but they are all good bands that deserve a listening.

Shadows Skulk said:
ok since approximately no one has even come close to being right in any of their choices, I will put forth an effort

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Bob Dylan
Camel
Frank Zappa
Frédéric Chopin
Rush
Yes

As for metal, I can't think of any band that's as solid as Opeth, but Candlemass and Emperor are up there

The beatles are fuckin terrible, im sorry but they are the most over rated shit band ever, pretty much Zappa is the only one on that list that is as good as opeth

every time one of these "recommend some music" threads comes along, a big flame war erupts between the modern-metal fans and the oldschoolers.

ps: isis better than the beatles? :erk:

i can't believe no one has mentioned Arcturus, yet. very atmospheric music. see also Sculptured and Enslaved. none of these bands are as good as Opeth, but they are all good bands that deserve a listening.

yea i really love arcturus - la masquerade infernale is one of my favorite albums. Havn't heard sculptured yet but i have vikingvigr veldi and isa b enslaved - both are great.

Valtiel said:
Arsis,
In Flames, YOU ARE DUMB
Iced Earth, YOU ARE DUMB
Mastodon,
Amon Amarth,
Arch Enemy, YOU ARE DUMB
Darkane, YOU ARE DUMB
Blue Infinito
Noumena,
Farmakon, YOU ARE DUMB
Insomnium, YOU ARE DUMB
At The Gates,
Daylight Dies,
November's Doom,
The Funneral Orchestra,
Blood Bath, That one is acceptable, but theres no space
Samael,
Metallica, YOU ARE GAY

Minion520 said:
The beatles are fuckin terrible, im sorry but they are the most over rated shit band ever, pretty much Zappa is the only one on that list that is as good as opeth

the beatles comment alone is astounding, however you implying that Rush, Zep AND Yes arent better than Opeth....is maybe the funniest thing ive ever heard on this board. I seriously thought i was going to urinate i laughed so hard at this.

you = wow.

i can see how one could not be a fan of the beatles, but to listen to albums post-Sgt. Pepper's and find that work 'terrible' leads me to think that the sort of person who would say that doesn't really like music at all, only bands and cliques and scenes. calling the beatles terrible is kind've like calling mozart or beethoven terrible; it's so incredibly ignorant that it's more a criticsm of the person who says it than the band they denounce.

i remember a time when i detested pink floyd and the beatles and deep purple and camel, etc. for being 'too spacey' or 'weak' but i don't ever remember being so arrogant as to think they were talentless.

i do think that appreciating those sorts of bands has more to do with appreciating songwriting than it does instrumental mastery or technicality or br00tality, obviously.

also, Arch Enemy was pretty decent up until 'Burning Bridges' or so.

^ That signature is awesome. =D

Anyway, the only two bands I like as much as or better than Opeth are Blind Guardian and Katatonia. To me, they are every bit as solid and consistent as Opeth. I figure I'll get flamed for liking Blind Guardian, so to anyone who proceeds to do so, fuck you in advance. =P

blind guardian sucks.
hey you asked for it!

I am liking Agalloch a lot a lately. To me, they are sort of half way between Porcupine Tree and Opeth. They use the acoustic guitar more than Opeth in songs, but they have some growling parts with electric guitars (unlike Porcupine Tree).