Any other band good as Opeth?

Try Blood and Thunder, Iron Tusk, Hearts Alive, March Of The Fire Ants, Ol' Nessie, Naked Burn, Crusher Destroyer, Workhorse, Island, Battle At Sea or Elephant Man...to name a couple of goodies...

That drummer is almost hilariously hyperactive, but it makes for some exciting as shit music...in a good way.

as good or better than Opeth, well let's see:

In The Woods
Primordial
Orphaned Land
Katatonia
Candlemass
Nevermore
Morgion
Agalloch
Dornenreich
Hollenthon
Ancient Rites
Death
Anathema (up to Judgment)
Root

Hypnos said:
as good or better than Opeth, well let's see:

In The Woods
Primordial
Orphaned Land
Katatonia
Candlemass
Nevermore
Morgion
Agalloch
Dornenreich
Hollenthon
Ancient Rites
Death
Anathema (up to Judgment)
Root
i'm a fan of some of those, and yet still: mostly no

The Chasm deserve a mention. Depending on my mood they're often times much better.

At the risk of sounding like a l33t black metal follower I truly do like graveland, though I'd only say that their new album is about on par and greater in terms of atmosphere.

Aeturnus are amazing.

Drudkh.

Diabolical Masquerade but only the Death's Design album.

That's what comes to mind anyway. Opeth are still pretty high on my list in terms of respect- I listen to most of the bands listed so far but these are the only ones that are really up there for me and they're tough to compare because of the stylistic differences.

there's a israelian band called asgaut wich is in essence a opeth clone, but seeming as there arent many of those any new stuff is great for me :)

you can download theyre first album for free at http://www.asgaut.com (if there site goes up again). They did a cover of harvest aswell...

other bands I like wich fall a bit into the same style:
my dying bride
novembers doom (kudo's to the guy who advised 'the pale haunt departure')
katatonia
forest of shadows
(suprising that all these are doom metal bands and opeth isnt ^^)

other stuff I listen to:
famous death metal bands like morbid angel and deicide
cliteater
gorgasm
rompeprop
brutus
gronibard
other various brutal death metal and goregrind
used to listen to allot of black metal to but not allot now days.. ussually just some good black metal like the old burzum and nehemah

I can only listen to Mastadon for so long, before I get images of meshuggah's vocalist ramming their vocalists' fudge, hense his pipes. In my Dreadful opinion, there really are no other extreme metal bands at the moment as good as Opeth...Nevermore is in the extreme category so I'd put them up there with them. Their catalog is solid, like Opeth's. Both bands' new albums will be the best this year.

Dreadful said:
Nevermore is in the extreme category so I'd put them up there with them. Their catalog is solid, like Opeth's. Both bands' new albums will be the best this year.
i used to hate Nevermore. I got schooled here on the forum and now I like them. Loomis is an awesome guitarist. For whatever reason, he reminds me of James Murphy.

Green Carnation's first two albums I'd rank somewhat up there in complexity, but I don't think they are as re-playable as Opeth. I can't burn myself out on Opeth like I can other bands. There is no true comparison, so I'll just post ones that I think others might like.

Anathema, The Silent Enigma and all proceeding albums after, especially Judgement and Eternity. All brilliant in tone, but not exactly up there in intricacy.

My Dying Bride have a few jems, but Morgion are better. :p

Septic Flesh's "Sumerian Daemons" album is :headbang: too.

Thanks guys for your reply.
In fact I was looking for bands as good as Opeth and similar. I will check out your suggestions.

Arsis,
In Flames,
Iced Earth,
Mastodon,
Amon Amarth,
Arch Enemy,
Darkane,
Blue Infinito
Noumena,
Farmakon,
Insomnium,
At The Gates,
Daylight Dies,
November's Doom,
The Funneral Orchestra,
Blood Bath,
Samael,
Metallica

ok since approximately no one has even come close to being right in any of their choices, I will put forth an effort

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Bob Dylan
Camel
Frank Zappa
Frédéric Chopin
Rush
Yes

As for metal, I can't think of any band that's as solid as Opeth, but Candlemass and Emperor are up there