Any other band good as Opeth?

I don't know if this band is as good as Opeth per se, and they don't make the same kind of music, but it is quite obvious that they share some of the same influences.

Check out IQ - Dark Matter (2004)

as of tonight, i would say porcupine tree. What an amazing show they put on tonight at the irving plaza in new york. Probably the best concert i have ever been too.

jordan rudess/rod morgenstein opened btw. i couldnt really hear any songs just lots of notes and shifting time signatures.

Moonlapse said:
Stop derailing the thread. If you have something to prove to each other, do it in your own private spaces (i'd suggest AIM, MSN, or the PM system here on the board).

NFU: You have to stop coming off as so aggressive during these threads. Your posts usually border on personal attacks and just leave a bad vibe all over the board.

Justin: I understand how can see him as obnoxious, but you have to restrain yourself from personal attacks. This isn't the place for that. At the very least, take your argument outside the board.

most the time i wholeheartedly agree. i think the irritation from so many people starting to get paranoid about Opeth turning bad because of joining a record label just has me worked up. ill cool off, and take it easy. i apologize. but i will point out that i didnt necessarily make any direct personal attacks, Justin S. found it necessary to comment on my hair product and his exfoliating skin expertise. anyway....

Oinkness said:
I don't know if this band is as good as Opeth per se, and they don't make the same kind of music, but it is quite obvious that they share some of the same influences.

Check out IQ - Dark Matter (2004)
Nice to see IQ get a mention

I can't stand Black Metal, so I only love Emperor a slight amount. I'm gonna have to say Nile.

<crimson> said:
hmm, i don't listen to DT much anymore.

Neither they were kind of a gateway to prog for me (always listened to floyd but never thought about them as Dt kind of prog), they lead to Rush, King crimson and so on. But i rarely listen to them now, still good though, just not as good as King Crimson's Red.

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
i like nevermore as much as i like opeth.... Godspeed are beyond good too...

Nevermore are good only when they make agressive songs; all their balladish songs are utter crap.

GY!BE has ONE amazing song(East Hastings), with remaining meh.

From the bands that I like and listen to as much as I do Opeth(though I don't consider as great are);
Calexico
The Decemberists
The Residents(well... some of their songs anyway)
Judas Priest
Anathema( esp. for their consistency; from Sweet Tears to Harmonium :headbang: )
Landberk(& co.)

I think people are more open minded nowadays because there really hasn't been any landmark metal albums released in past couple years or so....so people are just branching out. I mean, it's normal to "mature" and everything, but it seems to me bands have kinda lacked in their songwriting.

^^ agreed. '04 esp. and whatever has passed of '05 was a bit of a letdown for metal... though 2003 did have some great albums.

this is more of a topic like: what else do you really like besides opeth. Anyway here are mine:

- ulver
- tool
- devil doll
- the mars volta
- anathema
- mr. bungle
- the gathering

Opeth is absolutely great, and we all agree about that. Other great bands IMO are:
Ulver, Arcturus and Psychotic Waltz.
All are great, one is not better than the other, but thé favourite band differs from time to time...