avant garde metal

I love Avant-garde metal, it´s besides Symphonic Black Metal and Industrial Metal my favourite metal sub-genre.
I saw Arcturus (with Red Harvest) last year and it was one of my best shows ever. The show was about 90 minutes :O
Avant-garde tha I can recommend you:
Arcturus (Nor) - masterpiece
Carnival in Coal - very chaotic...Patton like
Dodheimsgard - Black Metal, Avant-Garde/Industrial Metal; I love it, very original
Ensoph - very catchy and great melodies
Ephel Duath - Avant-garde jazz / metal; highly recommended if you like metal + jazz
Faith No More - you know this band....
Fantômas - the best Pattons side project for me, impresive, chaotic, lunatic
In the Woods... - they have a nice progress from BM to a-g
Mr. Bungle - another Patton, you can´t go wrong with him
Peccatum - Emperor´s older brother, I like I a lot, highly recommended
Solefald - I am not into it much, its biggest good point is Lars, but lot of people like them so....
Windham Hell - CHECK THIS OUT

affinityband said:
Could someone define Avant garde for me?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avant-garde

MasterOLightning said:
Arcturus is black metal with keyboards that you'd find at a circus, yet you think that's good?
What Arcturus have you heard?

Sexy_Grandpa said:
Could Cephalic Carnage be considered as Avante Garde?
¨
No

Liquid Diamonds said:
I know... I play keys, and I will never, ever come close to that mans skill. It sucks...
Yeah, he´s one of the best in "metal" genre.

lol, have you noticed how the norwegian black metal scene turned avant gardish and the swedish melodic death is somewhat dead xcep for dark tranquillity

rammpeth said:
lol, have you noticed how the norwegian black metal scene turned avant gardish and the swedish melodic death is somewhat dead xcep for dark tranquillity
Better than don´t evolve.....in my eyes is black metal just start point to symphonic metal and avant-garde in metal. Don´t get me wrong, I like BM.

what sometimes i dont like is that most of the norwegian groups are "OMGZ SUPER GROUP tr00 kvlt k?" theres like 10 groups made of the 8 artists but in different line ups (its not a real number im just saying)

rammpeth said:
what sometimes i dont like is that most of the norwegian groups are "OMGZ SUPER GROUP tr00 kvlt k?" theres like 10 groups made of the 8 artists but in different line ups (its not a real number im just saying)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but would an example be Winds and Age Of Silence having an extremely similar line-up?

Devy_Metal said:
In Evacuation Code Deciphered when Simon sings the verse "two dried bugs trapped in the same web"...etc - all the way to "we will live again, without rebirth" the keys that immediately follow that are so fucking awesome. The heavy riff underneath fits it perfectly. It makes me feel like I'm flying through space!

Thats my favourite part of my favourite song by my favourite band of all times :kickass: God DAMN I love that part! :worship:

If you guys are interested in some dark ambient and industrial that could be called avant-garde listen to Abruptum.

affinityband said:
i used to speak to guitarist from mendeed. i didnt know who he was.
.. well... my ex band supported them when they played my local venue.. the drummer has a fucking high pitched voice.. but FUCK is he amazing at drumming.. hands were a blur i swear!

TBH i don't consider much of what i listen to as Avant Garde .. but yes, a lot of people have mentioned Ephel Duath .. and i must say i love listening to their latest release - a mate put it brilliantly .. 'it never seems like you're listening to the same album when you listen to it.. each time you'll notice something new.'

NicholasDWolfwood said:
Everybody who likes Ulver or Arcturus, check out Borknagar and Vintersorg. Borknagar is Garm (Ulver)'s former band, which is now fronted by Vintersorg

Borknagar sucks since Simen left them..... well just my opinion...*g

NineFeetUnderground said:
shora
zombi
morte macabre>shora

This thread makes me grab my sac like a stress reliever. "Avant-garde" literally means "before its time" too bad the avant-garde title has become another "progressive" title. so many bands flaunt the avant-garde label instead of a more accurate experimental label. true avant-garde metal bands include ephel duath, sigh, diabolical masquerade's death's design. arcturus isnt avant-garde, because there are atleast 10 bands that sound quite similar to them. avant-garde is a description of where the songwriter is in his writing style, innovation and theory, instead of the actual music itself.