Avant-garde metal

I don't know quite what you mean by saying there is no such thing as avant-garde metal though...

I wouldn't go so far as to say there's not such thing as avant-garde metal, but I agree with what he's saying that a lot of the bands people call avant-garde don't really fit the definition of avant-garde.

If you're avant-garde that means you're playing the music in a whole new way than it was meant to be played. Like one avant-garde band I saw the drummer did stuff put his feet on drums and push down to change their pitch, and the guitarist did stuff like taking a chain and scraping it across the guitar strings instead of strumming. It's basically playing instruments in ways they weren't meant to be played.

I don't know of any truly avant-garde metal bands, but I'm sure there's at least 1 out there.

perhaps, but their influence on the genre is pretty undeniable

should be noted, however, that M-A considers them metal

*cough*

Devil Doll blends elements of lots of different genres in their music. One of those genres happens to be metal, and certain parts of certain songs sound like metal, but they are no more of a metal band than say, Muse, is.

I wouldn't go so far as to say there's not such thing as avant-garde metal, but I agree with what he's saying that a lot of the bands people call avant-garde don't really fit the definition of avant-garde.

If you're avant-garde that means you're playing the music in a whole new way than it was meant to be played. Like one avant-garde band I saw the drummer did stuff put his feet on drums and push down to change their pitch, and the guitarist did stuff like taking a chain and scraping it across the guitar strings instead of strumming. It's basically playing instruments in ways they weren't meant to be played.

I don't know of any truly avant-garde metal bands, but I'm sure there's at least 1 out there.

Fine then, experimental metal. You happy?

i recommend the following:

Solefald
Fleurety
Korova/Korovakill
Angizia
Frantic Bleep
Madder Mortem
Ved Buens Ende
Manes
Maudlin Of The Well/Kayo Dot
<code>
Beyond Dawn
Drawn
Bethlehem
Naervaer
Atrox
Pan.Thy.Monium

another vote for Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Also try Sebkha-chott, Shub Niggurath, and Pochakaite Malko. There aren't really metal but they are very Avant Garde so you might find something you like.

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Blut Aus Nord yet. Clearly the best of the avant-black metal bands.

Ne Obliviscaris are amazing too.

Also try Estradasphere although they too only have a marginal metal content to their music.

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Blut Aus Nord yet. Clearly the best of the avant-black metal bands.

Ne Obliviscaris are amazing too.

Also try Estradasphere although they too only have a marginal metal content to their music.

No. I definitely didn't mention them...

>_>

I do notice, however, that no one has posted Direwolf so I guess everyone should check them out. Solo project of one of the Behold&#8230; The Arctopus guys.

No. I definitely didn't mention them...

>_>

I do notice, however, that no one has posted Direwolf so I guess everyone should check them out. Solo project of one of the Behold&#8230; The Arctopus guys.

Direwolf is great but I'm not sure I would call them avant-garde. More progressive/tech-metal. Yes, tech-metal sometimes incorporates avant-garde stylings but I wouldn't say Direwolf has fits under the avant-garde umbrella.

As for a tech-metal band that does incorporate avant-garde styles, I'd recommend Canvas Solaris.

I'll bite with maudlin of the Well

but to be honest there is no such thing as avant-garde metal.

I love them. You mean to tell me that you wouldn't call them avant-garde metal?? Just listen to the progression of the songs on Bath & the totally different songwriting approach each song has.

Maudlin of the Well is amazing. I don't like Kayo Dot nearly as much.

As far as Blut Aus Nord goes they're black metal & not avant-garde. To the person who mentioned them check out Maudlin of the Well's "Bath".

As far as Blut Aus Nord goes they're black metal & not avant-garde.

Not all their albums are avant-garde but Mort is very much so. Its almost free-flowing dissonance, atonality, and overall unconventional aethetic are very characteristic of avant-garde.

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions. I've downloaded stuff by some of the bands, and also ordered an album by UneXpect (I can't afford to buy all the music I listen to, but at least I try to be supportive to the extent I can with what money I have, so don't hate me, alright? I'm still better than the majority)