Prog & Avant-Garde

Larkhillv

Devil's Advocate
Feb 23, 2009
In a paper sailboat.
Could anyone suggest any progressive rock or avant-garde bands?

Some prog bands I like are Tool, Porcupine Tree, Queen, Opeth, Alchemist, and the like.

Some more avant-garde bands I like are Mr. Bungle, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Arcturus, Diabolical Masquerade.

Prog - Scale The Summit(Rock/Metal), Psychotic Waltz(Metal), Spiral Architect(Metal), Humanoid(Spacey rock)

Avant-Garde - uneXpect(Everything), Naked City(Jazz/Noise), The Fractured Dimension(Classical/Jazz/Metal), Ved Buens Ende(awesome), Virus(side project from drummer of VBE, also awesome), In The Woods...(Doom-ish?), Arcturus(Folk-influenced BM), Solefald(Folk-influenced BM)

I've been into Threshold for awhile now, who are progressive metal but not as heavy/extreme as some "metal". Symphony X is my favorite progressive metal band and Dream Theater is just Dream Theater, they play all kinds of styles. I see you mentioned Queen so that means you would consider old bands as well. There was this band in the 70's called Crack the Sky and they are a must for any open minded prog listener. Their first self titled from '75 and their third "Saftey in Numbers" from '78 as well as "Live Sky" or the more recently released "Alive and Kickin Ass" both live recordings from the late 70's. This band was kicked off opening act duties by Kansas (another one of my old favorites) because they simply blew the crowd away. I dont know what "Avant Garde" currently is but Crack the Sky was very advant garde as far as "rock" goes at that time. They have alot of other albums and still active but one needs to hear these two (and the live albums) I mentioned first, only a tried and true Crackhead would enjoy the rest... which at times can still be hard. Forget most of what you can find on youtube, the quality and fire just isnt there that existed in the mid/late 70's.

Prog - Scale The Summit(Rock/Metal), Psychotic Waltz(Metal), Spiral Architect(Metal), Humanoid(Spacey rock)

Avant-Garde - uneXpect(Everything), Naked City(Jazz/Noise), The Fractured Dimension(Classical/Jazz/Metal), Ved Buens Ende(awesome), Virus(side project from drummer of VBE, also awesome), In The Woods...(Doom-ish?), Arcturus(Folk-influenced BM), Solefald(Folk-influenced BM)

scale the summit and architect ftmfw.

Most of my favourite bands belong in one or both of these categories.

Prog: Dream Theater, King Crimson, Devin Townsend, Voivod

Avant-Garde: In The Woods, Arcturus, Sigh, Maudlin of the Well, Unexpect, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum...

I second that Maudlin of the Well. Also check out Kayo Dot, music that takes patience, but is very rewarding when it "hits" you.

Ive been wondering about this Kayo Dot because I see on this UM forum they are up fairly high in the posts department. Im not finding any songs to sample on my favorite pirate site. Any help or advice ?

thanks

I have no issue like your facepalm, I have downloaded music by many bands, if I like it I eventually buy an album, if their really good I buy more. On the other hand there has been countless bands and countless songs deleted and I never looked back. I dont need to buy stuff I cant stand listening too and it gives me time to decide. Not much different than when we used to find bands by passing around records and tapes, come to think of it I never bought a piece of music if one of my friends already owned it anyhow.

I have downloaded music by many bands, if I like it I eventually buy an album, if their really good I buy more.

I never bought a piece of music if one of my friends already owned it anyhow.

So, your friends don't listen to good music? Otherwise, you're kind of being a hippocrate. You're also not really a true fan of music if you don't support the bands, in my opinion.

That said, check out myspace.com/zebpike. They might be right up your alley...

So, your friends don't listen to good music? Otherwise, you're kind of being a hippocrate. You're also not really a true fan of music if you don't support the bands, in my opinion.

That said, check out myspace.com/zebpike. They might be right up your alley...

What ? Been buying music since the 70's dude and I dont nor ever had much expendable budget. If my friends have something I like, I know where to find it, if I like any given band, I buy something else by them that might not already be floating around. Nothing new here at all, it was never uncommon to dub tapes from albums for the car stereo or from friends. Dont judge others money priorities based on your own. I support a small handful of my core bands.... otherwise I have invested well over 6000 in my own musical equipment.... combined thats enough. I have also downloaded many mp3's of songs I origionally bought on vinyl or cassette... without an ounce of shame, others I eventually back log my CD collection. Sorry I only take spankins for worthy reasons and I learned along time ago not to buy music I rarely to listen to. Have a nice day :heh:

What ? Been buying music since the 70's dude and I dont nor ever had much expendable budget. If my friends have something I like, I know where to find it, if I like any given band, I buy something else by them that might not already be floating around. Nothing new here at all, it was never uncommon to dub tapes from albums for the car stereo or from friends. Dont judge others money priorities based on your own. I support a small handful of my core bands.... otherwise I have invested well over 6000 in my own musical equipment.... combined thats enough. I have also downloaded many mp3's of songs I origionally bought on vinyl or cassette... without an ounce of shame, others I eventually back log my CD collection. Sorry I only take spankins for worthy reasons and I learned along time ago not to buy music I rarely to listen to. Have a nice day :heh:

To each his own. I agree that downloading mp3's of albums you already own is cool: I do so myself with vinyl releases that don't come with mp3 cards. I guess as long as you're buying tickets to see the artists live, and buying the albums of bands you truly love, it's all good. I just hate it when people think that just because they like a band, that they're supporting them (not that that's what you were saying, it just sort of hinted at it and set me off).

About a year and a half ago I downloaded a handful of random Threshold songs. Now today I have 3 CDs of theirs and plan on completing the libary. I have done this with other bands in the past. Its rather shameful what a band makes off a CD anyhow, but there is no denying that successful labels can make or break a band and the labels are taking a hell of a hit, but then so has so many other ways of life... in the "new millenium"

Magma!

Oh, and King Crimson, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Camel, and all those good folks too.

But above all, Magma.