Avant-Garde Metal

Ozzloaf

Art Geek
Jun 14, 2008
Hi,
I was hoping you could suggest some more Avant-Garde metal. The only bands from this genre I know are Arcturus (one of my favorite bands), UneXpect, and Diablo Swing Orchestra. This genre is so weird yet so awesome.
Thanks,
Jake

edit: Deathspell Omega is listed as Avant-Garde so I guess them too...

Also Meshuggah, Textures, Celtic Frost, and The Dillinger Escape Plan? I don't know what Avant-Garde is I guess... :erk: I thought Meshuggah and Textures where Tech/Extreme Thrash Metal, Celtic Frost was just Metal, and TDEP was progressive hard core?

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/non-opeth-music-chat/222617-avant-garde-metal.html
Where are dso listed as avantgarde, because it's wrong. I guess nowdays they would be progressive black metal, but certainly not avant-garde.

Ok... from that thread I still have no idea what AG is. There are a bunch of bands that I wouldn't consider AG that are listed there.

From Wikipedia:
Deathspell Omega are an avant-garde black metal band from France who are the most well-known band in the Norma Evangelium Diaboli movement.[citation needed] Their lyrical content deals primarily with Satanism on a metaphysical level, and other various theological topics. They are currently two albums through a series of three concept albums which focus on the theological aspects of God, Satan and man's relationship with the two, and are commonly regarded as lyrically and ideologically more thorough than most Satanic black metal bands.[citation needed] Some of their inspiration comes from the post-surrealist Georges Bataille.[1]

Ok, well the best avantgarde metal band IMO is DHG (Dødheimsgard). Start with their last 2 albums and read that thread; I scanned through it and it will lead you in the right places. ^That article is using Avant-garde in the context of it being experimental rather than it being actually classified as "Avantgarde" which is a separate sub genre. Do you know Ulver's Themes From William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell? While not necessarily metal that is an Avantgarde album, one of the best imo. After Fas it has become fairly difficult to categorize dso, it's experimental or progressive bm, but it's even boarding at times technical bm.

I consider bands like Fluerety, Arcturus, Ved Buens Ende, Virus, Age Of Silence, Sigh, Solefeld and ...In The Woods and stuff like that to be Avant Garde Metal, or even stuff like Devil Doll.

But Avant Garde is a pretty loose and broad genre, difficult to define..

man, just typing out those bands i want to go listen to them now. Lol.

Yeah.. Avant-garde metal has been turned into a fairly loose term.. which can allow for quite a lot of bands to be classed as it.

If you were to literally use it in its strict sense.. Avant-garde is a potentially fleeting thing. Once something is done more than once is can hardly be regarded as truly avant-garde. It is art that pushses things forward, so doing something that has been done before is not exactly furthering artistic boundaries. That's if you're a pedantic sod about it.

But yes, it is generally used in this context as a term that is interchangable with 'experimental' and has parrallels with 'progressive' music. I remember reading an article about the difference between avant-garde and progressive music - both having quite a lot of similar characteristics, but progressive music generally focussing more on unconventional structures, rhythms, progressions and time signatures.. Avant-garde focussing more on unconventional textures, timbre, tonality and instrumentation. This isn't the be all, end all opinion though.

And an article i read on wikipedia ages ago used this simple comparison to try and show a 'progressive' musician and an 'avant-garde' musician - jon petrucci is the progressive musician, mike patton is the avant-garde musician.. Which kind of supports the idea above.

But yes.. All sorts of bands could be regarded as 'avant-garde metal' in the loose usage - opeth included. So yes, Deathspell Omega are 'avant-garde metal'.. And actually one of the few bands that is fairly deserving of the title seeing as their last release really has pushed the boundaries of their music. Maudlin Of The Well/Kayo Dot are another great example .. Although blue lambency downward is a pretty tame album.

I personally would avoid getting yourself worried about it.. Rather just keep looking for avant-garde/experimental music.

avant garde to me is just an amalgamation of various styles fused together, with a desire to experiment. kind of a catch all umbrella term that would probably encompass a whole lotta bands. although i wouldnt call opeth avant garde, sure they have progressed but what i consider avant garde is fleurety's mid skal tomme whatever album -> apocalyptic affairs. like guy said, real change in timbre and style

avant garde to me is just an amalgamation of various styles fused together, with a desire to experiment. kind of a catch all umbrella term that would probably encompass a whole lotta bands. although i wouldnt call opeth avant garde, sure they have progressed but what i consider avant garde is fleurety's mid skal tomme whatever album -> apocalyptic affairs. like guy said, real change in timbre and style

Depending on how loosely you use the term, opeth can definitely be lumped in as avant-garde metal. But then you start to devalue the word.. But hey.. Whatever, it's not like words have feelings.

Don't worry, there's not some genre-police who come and make sure you're using the right labels for band's music! although some people do get pretty wanky.

Just call them progressive metal and be done with it. Walk away, smoke a biff.. Listen to the music.

for those of you who have no idea, celtic frost WERE considered avant garde when they released "into the pandemonium" and "cold lake".
I would imagine most of you were too young to even know that.