Avant-Garde Bands

It seems I have some competition!

Do you actually listen to all these bands and like them or did you just pull them off of a list?

Well, a few of them are classic experimental/noise/'avant-garde' folks, and a few are personal favorites.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
are one of my favorite bands today, and local, so I get to see them more often than most. One of the best live shows around.

Swans are one of the darker more abstract influences of Sleepytime, and while I've never been a huge fan, I dig what they do (and former Swans frontman M.Gira's new project, Angels of Light, is fantastic, though not nearly as abstract and bizarre are Swans). That clip is pretty tough to watch, even for me.

Throbbing Gristle
. There's not much I can say. They're the original. Read about them.

Coil is a Throbbing Gristle offshoot. Less industrial, more occultist.

Goblin is an Italian progressive rock band from the 70's, who initially were a band in the more traditional sense, but ended up scoring music to Dario Argento's mindfuck films, and found to be quite good at that. If you like your prog with mellotrons and moogs, they're a hell of a ride. I'm a big fan.

David Torn is one of the leading experimental guitarists today. His newest album, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Prezens-David-Torn/dp/B000O5902U/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1229283060&sr=8-1"]Prezens[/ame], is one of my favorite albums of last year. That clip is from his current live improvisational brigade. His studio record is much more wild (and listenable! ;) )

Murcof is a Mexican minimal electronic artist that uses orchestral samples and extremely interesting textures. Remembranza (the record that track is from) is one of my most played relaxing-at-home records. (his newer one, Cosmos, is far more intense)

Enjoy!

stuff every musical genre into blender+hit frappe = Mr Bungle

from self titled: Quote Unquote (official video)

from Disco Volante: Desert Search for Techno Allah

from California: Goodbye Sober Day (fan made video, but well done)

barely scratches the surface of their musical explorings.

Last edited by a moderator:
speaking of mauldin

i use this to get to sleep
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGq6ofW-NqQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGq6ofW-NqQ[/ame]

most of the bands in this thread aren't avant-garde.

you want avant-garde? scott walker. tilt. the drift.
go.

Hah.

I knew that was going to happen. That's why I made sure to populate my selections without metal (SGM potentially an outlier). So-called 'Avant-garde metal' is generally crap.

BTW, I'd be surprised if you heard about Scott from anyone other than Mike or Steve. :rolleyes:

I heard about him before I was even into opeth, but never really gave anything of his a listen till mike said how twisted some of it was (this is probably late 05/early 06, right before the drift came out)

thanks. infact I wasn't even referring to your post(s), I was more referring to references like solefald, code, ulver's older material (before they started changing their genre on every release post-nattens madrigal), ihsahn, peccatum etc. avant garde in music is usually used to refer to pushing boundaries and not giving a shit about whether things are discordant or not (ie being innovative and not following the status quo), not referring to how a band merges black metal with folk-acoustic bits or something of that ilk