The World of Avant-Garde Metal

Necroing this just because I can't find another thread for it in GMD.

I listened to Diablo Swing Orchestra's Butcher's Ballroom today, and that was honestly a terrible album aside from maybe a small handful of okay songs. The whole eclectic jazzy flamenco metal whateverness is a cool concept, but those guys utterly fail at execution. :erk: Hopefully the next album will be an improvement.

Dude how high is your thread necro spell? I mean, this is old shit.

Anyways, could someone rec me some good avant-garde?

I can't think of any other avant-garde metal I know besides CF and Arcturus.

I know plenty of avant-garde non-metal though.

I need to agree about that DSO, reeks of gimmick when you actually sit and listen to it..

anyway you require maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, and Ephel Duath, plz to purchase.

Suidakra is like Trivium with folky parts. Ugh.

Check out Ensoph, specifically their album Opus Dementiae.

Anything by Frantic Bleep will do you well. They are talented out the wazoo.

Similarly, Augury and Unexpect are very entertaining and engaging.

Avant-garde metal by definition of avant-garde does not exist.

Avant-garde is actually a very subjective term and only some avant-garde schools of thought would claim this to be true, and some metal music does display tendencies that could be referred to as or are influenced by avant-garde styles or schools of thought. You're basically just being a dumbass by trying to make this claim, as I recall telling you in the past.

I won't defend the people who think that avant-garde is about combining musical genres together, or the people who lump vaguely experimental bands into avant-garde, however. What a bunch of faggots they are.

EDIT: without getting in to any discussion of what avant-garde means or is...

Highly recommending Sore Plexus - Haptephobic. It could be described as a cross between Psychotic Waltz and Coroner, but not sounding anything like either. Some quirkyness, especially in vocals, but very musical and enjoyable, and metal enough to make me happy.

Necroing this just because I can't find another thread for it in GMD.

I listened to Diablo Swing Orchestra's Butcher's Ballroom today, and that was honestly a terrible album aside from maybe a small handful of okay songs. The whole eclectic jazzy flamenco metal whateverness is a cool concept, but those guys utterly fail at execution. :erk: Hopefully the next album will be an improvement.

i think the exact opposite. this album is brilliant in every minute. this band also kicks ass live!

have to agree Mirrorthrone is kind of junk and I don't really know why it would be mentioned... it's pretty spongey sounding 'black metal' with a billion melodies going on all at once...what I hate though is his clean vocal passages ruin stuff a lot.. there isn't often a sense of..this many syllables will work/this many syllables will not work..he just sort of crams it in there regardless and it's awkward.

Check out Ensoph, specifically their album Opus Dementiae.

Anything by Frantic Bleep will do you well. They are talented out the wazoo.

Similarly, Augury and Unexpect are very entertaining and engaging.

I was gonna suggest Frantic Bleep as well. Takes a while to digest, but it really grows on you.

these bands rule (some are not really avant-garde, but who cares):

In The Woods...
Madder Mortem
Negura Bunget
Manes
Fleurety
Ved Buens Ende + Virus
Sólstafir
Frantic Bleep
The 3rd And The Mortal
Forgotten Silence
Lux Occulta
Maudlin Of The Well + Kayo Dot

If you're deaf, maybe...but, even then, total stretch. Listen to Trails of Gore, it's almost Arghoslent-ish in riff-writing, and the new Suidakra is totally badass. To even compare them slightly to Trivium is a big injustice.