Opeth is Amazing

LastOfTheJotun

Sonic Vomit
Aug 26, 2002
Tx.
Visit site
I know it's been said many times over, but it's never a bad thing to reaffirm ones beliefs. Opeth fucken OWNS me. Opeth owns what it means to create and express. It's like Mozart/Vivaldi/Beethoven/Bach/Pachebel are reincarnated into young Metal-loving geniuses. No other band captures so many moods in thier compositions, besides the classical composers as Opeth does. No one. Not one.

I said this once before about In Flames, not the whole mood thing, but I compared them to classical composers in terms of creative genius and innovative masterpieces, moreover I think these are definatley descriptions about OPETH. In flames, is a DISTANT 2nd place to Opeth, hey thats still a good position! In Flames are great. But no one compares to Opeth.

Opeth is just so full of magic, I mean...one one hand you've got thrashing driving ripping heartchilling bonecrushing riffage, and then moments later, on the same hand you've got ballad type structured arrangements that takes you seemingly further into such spiritual/astral realms, and into deep emotional atmospheres. It's really the metal version of classical material. Every Opeth song is a magnum opus, with their own movements, intricately woven for your listening pleasure.

No other band compares. No one. Not one.

There are ZERO complaints about this band. Zero, not one.
No other band on earth is as flawless as Opeth! NO ONE. NOT ONE. I cannot make this more clear.

Hmm, try and not speak so objectively about such subjective things. I for one have some major complaints with opeth, though still being one of my favourite bands there are many many bands out there that do little things way better than opeth. After all, just like everyone else in this world they are only human, not faultless. Some elements of their music are well below the average in metal bands (such as the strict repetition of riffs).

And i'd say Emperor's Prometheus is closer to classical music than opeth is, not in sound, but in use of Musical theory and such.

Opeth are simply another great band, they are extremely good at what they do, but no band is perfect and opeth are no exception. There are many bands out there that are just as good, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, each trying to achieve slightly different things. If stylistically Opeth are your favourite, if all their strengths are what you look for in music, if all their weaknesses dont negatively affect the experience.. then great, you've found the band for you. But dont get carried away! ;)

Opeth are far from flawless...

Originally posted by YaYo
Hmm, try and not speak so objectively about such subjective things. I for one have some major complaints with opeth, though still being one of my favourite bands there are many many bands out there that do little things way better than opeth. After all, just like everyone else in this world they are only human, not faultless. Some elements of their music are well below the average in metal bands (such as the strict repetition of riffs).

And i'd say Emperor's Prometheus is closer to classical music than opeth is, not in sound, but in use of Musical theory and such.

Opeth are simply another great band, they are extremely good at what they do, but no band is perfect and opeth are no exception. There are many bands out there that are just as good, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, each trying to achieve slightly different things. If stylistically Opeth are your favourite, if all their strengths are what you look for in music, if all their weaknesses dont negatively affect the experience.. then great, you've found the band for you. But dont get carried away! ;)

Opeth are far from flawless...

Nice to see some objectivity here, rather than drooling fanboy-isms. Music doesn't end with Opeth.

That being said, Opeth is a great band, although I'm not the greatest fan of their last two releases.

No doubt about it, there's definitely a lot to appreciate about Opeth music and they've got an expansive body of work; there's a lot to explore. But, frankly, when I think of Opeth music, I definitely don't think of Beethoven or any of those mentioned: I'm not thinking of artists deeply imbued by their craft as creators, maniacally in love with their work on a religious and heightened spiritual level, upholding the human condition for all of us to see.

They're a great band but I think where they fail is that, though musically Opeth is always rich and full of class, the music seems indifferent to the exploration of the "human in music". They never traduce anything more than the plainest emotions and circumstances, the simplest model of life.

just my opinion.

hey man, i feel your pain... if that's what ur feeling... i mean.... i know exactly what ur going through. it seems that you just reailzed opeth are gods of music and the ultimate form of art... correct? as have i, especially when i just saw them friday night. just breathe man, take a big breath.

yes, they are the most amazing musicians to ever grace this earth, and though you said it in a very rambling way, don't worry about it, and if anybody capps on you for it their idiots and aren't understanding as to what you're feeling. i feel the same way man, opeth is great, and there is nothing you can put into words as to how much that weighs and means to you. no one will ever truly know, and it's hard to understand. either you get it or you don't, and for those who don't, i feel tragically sorry for you.

on the up side, these are the opeth forums, and being that, most people here DO understand and love opeth just as much as you do. i am one of those ppl, I LOVE OPETH MAN, THEY FUCKING ROCK. emotionally and everything, they are the best!

Originally posted by thebleakaffinity
Opeth are no where near perfect, especially when it comes to strong structure. It's hard for me to listen to Morningrise because it's just so damn fragmented.

I'd agree with that. Actually, one of the things I like most about Opeth is that you can actually HEAR their musical maturity increase from record to record. Morningrise, while it has lot of parts that I absolutely adore, is still probably my least favorite record by them, because of that same "disjointed" feel that bleak mentioned. But, you can tell that they were still getting a handle on their style. "My Arms, Your Hearse" is so much tighter and focused, you can hear the cinching up in the song structures, as well as the improvement in Mikael's vocals (and he had a cold when they recorded them, too!). They just keep getting better, and I think that's one of the major things that helps me relate to them as a musician - that if you have a solid foundation, you can build nowhere but up. Add that to their great concepts, imagery and musicianship, and you've got a band that for me, really clicks with my own sensibilities. As some of the previous posters mentioned, music doesen't end with Opeth - I think they'd say the same (modest as they are)... but there's no question that they're incredible and worthy of every bit of praise they get. They're definitely my favorite band and I don't see that changing any time soon.

You mention classical composers and how they relate to Opeth without including the heavy-metal classical composer of all time, Tchaikovsky?

Sacrilege!!!

;)