Opeth - Should they use Classicals more?

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
Some of my favorite Opeth songs are the all-acoustic ones (no not the ones from Damnation!), such as Benighted, Harvest, Patterns in the Ivy I and II, etc... All those wonderfuly haunting ones.

Anyways, Benighted is one of my absolute favorites (except for the awful solo which IMO ruins the mood), and recently a friend of mine played it on a classical guitar, and it was MUCH, MUCH more powerful and emotionally moving. I really wish Opeth would use classical guitars more in recording the acoustic sections, the tone difference is incredible.

Some of my favorite Opeth songs are the all-acoustic ones (no not the ones from Damnation!), such as Benighted, Harvest, Patterns in the Ivy I and II, etc... All those wonderfuly haunting ones.

Anyways, Benighted is one of my absolute favorites (except for the awful solo which IMO ruins the mood), and recently a friend of mine played it on a classical guitar, and it was MUCH, MUCH more powerful and emotionally moving. I really wish Opeth would use classical guitars more in recording the acoustic sections, the tone difference is incredible.

solo is amazing, wtf r u on about. the vast majority of opeth songs have acoustic in them along with electric. in any case, calling benighted solo awful = death sentence.:mad:

I just don't think the solo fits in the song at all... it's all quiet and moody and then suddenly you get this bluesy, somewhat upbeat solo coming in with drums.

Regardless, that wasn't the point of the thread.

i like classical guitars a lot so i'd love to hear them on opeth records too but i guess you need a far better technique to get an awesome sound out of classicals than out of steel string accoustics ...

To really be playing classical correctly, to get the correct tone, Mike would have to grow out his nails on his right hand.

Well, you can perfectly get a cool classical sound without putting the guitar on your left knee at a 45 degree angle and growing long fingernails, and yes, I think it would be nice if Opeth used them more to add a new color to their sound. For example, they usually do electric leads over the acoustic parts, a classical guitar melody over it would be nice for a change.

Yes they are bacause they give a brighter tone than if you played with your "naked" fingertips. IMO from personal expirience it's also easier to play a little bit with longer nails...kinda gives you better control.

But that's going off topic now.

To really be playing classical correctly, to get the correct tone, Mike would have to grow out his nails on his right hand.

+1. I do enjoy the steel string "spanish" acoustic guitar present on a lot of Opeth tracks. true classical style guitar would equally add to their colorful tone.

PS to the people who say fingernail length and shape and texture (you have to file them correctly) don't matter... or that the guitar's position doesn't matter, clearly you have little experience with real classical training. Trust me, they all are essential.