The Opeth ballads: A dividing line?

Slynt

Lord and Liar
May 31, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Hello friendly Opeth fans and shitheads alike, I was wondering if more people have noticed that there is a sort of dividing line when it comes to the Opethian balladry.

For clarification, when I use the term "ballad" I am talking about those songs that are for the most part performed with acoustic guitars and Mikael's clean vocals. More specifically, I am talking about the following tracks:
"To Bid You Farewell", "Credence", "Benighted", "Face of Melinda", "Harvest", "A Fair Judgement", "Windowpane", "In My Time of Need", "Death Whispered a Lullaby", "Closure", "Hope Leaves", "To Rid the Disease", "Weakness", "Still Day Beneath the Sun", "Patterns in the Ivy II", "Hours of Wealth" and "Isolation Years" (not sure whether "Atonement" qualifies or not, leaning towards Nay).

Allright, here's my point. I feel that the ballads written and recorded during the first half of Opeth's discography are darker, more melancholic, more moody, than the other half. "To Bid You Farewell", "Credence" and "Face of Melinda" all use to certain extent sweet, sombre melodies woven into the overall track, have darker lyrics and are more interesting because they are more progressive (many of the Damnation-tracks by comparison repeat the same parts over and over).

While the early ballads convey the mystical, dark forestry of Opeth, the later tunes have become more introspective/seem more personal, and sound and feel differently.

I am not saying "new OPTH ballads suck" or anything here! I love many of the recent ballads (most notably, "In My Time of Need").

Agree? No? Thoughts?

Hello friendly Opeth fans and shitheads alike, I was wondering if more people have noticed that there is a sort of dividing line when it comes to the Opethian balladry.

For clarification, when I use the term "ballad" I am talking about those songs that are for the most part performed with acoustic guitars and Mikael's clean vocals. More specifically, I am talking about the following tracks:
"To Bid You Farewell", "Credence", "Benighted", "Face of Melinda", "Harvest", "A Fair Judgement", "Windowpane", "In My Time of Need", "Death Whispered a Lullaby", "Closure", "Hope Leaves", "To Rid the Disease", "Weakness", "Still Day Beneath the Sun", "Patterns in the Ivy II", "Hours of Wealth" and "Isolation Years" (not sure whether "Atonement" qualifies or not, leaning towards Nay).

Allright, here's my point. I feel that the ballads written and recorded during the first half of Opeth's discography are darker, more melancholic, more moody, than the other half. "To Bid You Farewell", "Credence" and "Face of Melinda" all use to certain extent sweet, sombre melodies woven into the overall track, have darker lyrics and are more interesting because they are more progressive (many of the Damnation-tracks by comparison repeat the same parts over and over).

While the early ballads convey the mystical, dark forestry of Opeth, the later tunes have become more introspective/seem more personal, and sound and feel differently.

I am not saying "new OPTH ballads suck" or anything here! I love many of the recent ballads (most notably, "In My Time of Need").

Agree? No? Thoughts?

I dont know were this is coming from, i thought the roundhouse tapes were excellent, could have dropped Bleak and windowpaine but never the less excellent.

I dont know were this is coming from, i thought the roundhouse tapes were excellent, could have dropped Bleak and windowpaine but never the less excellent.

huh? how is that a response to his statement? ...

anyway, I don't think you should look at the "ballads" (perhaps better, simply softer songs) as separate from the rest of their discography. you can see similar evolutions throughout all the music ...

I agree, older stuff seemed darker despite the acoustic guitar.

remixed still liiiiifeee.

Harvest and sdbts have dark lyrics. FoM and tbyf are love songs. D1 is more apathetic than sad, yet still "evil" lyricaly and moodwise.

i disagree, i feel that harvest contains as much of a "dark mood" as to bid you farewell does, if not more. same with the lyrics, just as "dark."

To Bid you Farewell is about Mikael's grandmother, I believe.

Nope, if I remember correctly Mike wrote that after breaking up with his girlfriend.

The lyrics to the song Hope Leaves are about Mikaels sadness for the loss of his grandmother "Bojan" who died during the recordings of Deliverance and Damnation, if memory serves me I read that in an interview a few years ago.

Forestry is the art, science, and practice of studying and managing forests and plantations, and related natural resources.