Is it just me or

in limbow

wobmil ni
Sep 9, 2005
United States
did Opeth completely lose their classical influence? It seems like since Still Life their acoustic guitar playing has been more folky and less classical like on Morningrise. I still love it but i think it would be cool if they had some classical kind of stuff too, not too much just a little. thoughts?

MasterOLightning said:
Umm...what they were doing on the first two albums was folk influenced. The folk influence is what has left the music.
Which makes me very sad because my favorite Opeth albums are Morningrise and Orchid! I love the twin guitar harmonies, I think they should make another album with the return of that (and the folkiness, of course)

My favorite album is Orchid also, very powerful music and uplifting/sad acoustics, beautiful vocals and lyrics as well. All opeth is amazing though.

That layered jazzy element that left ever since Still Life is also missed greatly. The way all the Opeth elements came together on that album is pure magic. I don't know what it was. Maybe it was Mike's most creative writing period, or maybe there was so much confusion, anxiety... so many things to express in the music in that period that it all just came together so well.

I think the pure vibe that you got on that album as well as MAYH is what I miss the most. Despite how great Ghost Reveries is, in contrast to these two masterpieces it just feels forced.

I whole heartdley aggree moonlapse. Alot of parts feel forced on GR, even though its my favourite track on GR the baying of the hounds, the clean part at the end sounds very forced and i guess prolonged. It seems quite unatural when i listen to it.

I third what Moonlapse said. Ghost Reveries is possibly my least favourite album of theirs now. It just lacks the sort of passion and energy that the other records have in abundance! Although Orchid's song structures etc are not as well formed, there's a certain ambience and mystique to it that is really captivating. If they could capture that mysterious feeling and fuse it with more still life-esque song writing, but with a more BWP style production, i think they could produce their best album yet. I do love Ghost Reveries, it's just i have given it a thorough listening to and it lacks that certain something the other records are swathed in.

Haha, just in case it came off the wrong way, I'm not bagging Ghost Reveries at all. I think it's the best work they've done since Still Life. I still don't think it compares to that era of Opeth though.

affinityband said:
even though its my favourite track on GR the baying of the hounds, the clean part at the end sounds very forced and i guess prolonged. It seems quite unatural when i listen to it.

really? that is probably my favorite clean opeth section, ever...it is very visually stimulating for me....it makes me see innocence...during a certain little melody line, i see a puppy tilting his head (you know how puppies do when they are curious)...when the mellotron comes in, i see a full moon with clouds moving by in fast forward....i love it.

JoeVice said:
really? that is probably my favorite clean opeth section, ever...it is very visually stimulating for me....it makes me see innocence...during a certain little melody line, i see a puppy tilting his head (you know how puppies do when they are curious)...when the mellotron comes in, i see a full moon with clouds moving by in fast forward....i love it.

I guess it just doesnt sound nessacery to me and its a big cliche of what Opeth would do. Its they havent had a clean bit in about 3 mins lets do one. It just sounds forced to me. Sure its a nice part, and could work wonderfully but in that particular song it just doesnt sound to me like its a natural thing. Just sounds like they were trying to make it longer.

affinityband said:
I guess it just doesnt sound nessacery to me and its a big cliche of what Opeth would do. Its they havent had a clean bit in about 3 mins lets do one. It just sounds forced to me. Sure its a nice part, and could work wonderfully but in that particular song it just doesnt sound to me like its a natural thing. Just sounds like they were trying to make it longer.

i hear ya...i don't agree, because i love that part so much. but, i see some of the passages in other songs the same way....the first clean section in GoP seems a bit drawn out to me...but i think that is what they are going for...obviously not in a bad way though.