Why is it that...

ponie

pie
Nov 28, 2008
Maryland
www.myspace.com
... you kind of get more street-cred if you discovered a band earlier in their career. For example, I discovered Opeth around BWP & Deliverance, and although Still Life & MAYH are my favorite albums, it still isn't the same as if I discovered them when they were "relatively unknown" (e.g. Orchid/Morningrise). I guess I just feel like it isn't my fault that I was only nine when Opeth first entered the scene :p

If you were a true fan you would travel back in time and buy an album so that you might circumvent the issue of age. But I guess we're all just scrubs.

Yeah I don't really see how listening to a band earlier makes you any more of a fan than the next person. If you like them you fucking like them. Of course if you have been listening to them longer credit goes to longevity in the sense that your enjoyment has stood the test of time. But no one can really gauge how much anybody likes a band anyway.

Yeah i feel that way too ponie :D for example, there is a band that haven't even release an album yet, it's a one-man project actually, and I'm sure that it's gonna be a fucking amazing band in the future, and i feel lucky to listening to their music the first :D Same happen to me when I discover a band when they just have few albums released like Ark, Mastodon, Framakon and Comus :D

Yeah I don't really see how listening to a band earlier makes you any more of a fan than the next person. If you like them you fucking like them. Of course if you have been listening to them longer credit goes to longevity in the sense that your enjoyment has stood the test of time. But no one can really gauge how much anybody likes a band anyway.

I agree with this. A lot things that people like may just be phases - I'm sure everyone has a period where they can't stop listening to a certain band/album, and after a certain amount of time doesn't listen to it anymore, or at least not nearly as much as before.
So if you like a band early on, and after a suggnificant time period, still like that band, that "proves" that it wasn't just a phase, but you sincerly love to stick it out and not be bored with them after some time.

But obviously no one can quantify how much anyone else loves a band. And since you can quantify the time you loved the band, and people have a natural urge of feeling better than others and outdoing them, that's probably why it's so popular.
They're pretty much saying "if I can't love them more than you, I CAN love them for a longer time, SO THERE! *raises horns*"

I give credit to fans who discovered Opeth during Orchid/Morningrise, because those albums never seem to get enough love :wave:

if you got into them in their earlier years, it just means you're an idiot because you were way too into some gay metal scene that you would know about obscure bands like them

I discovered loads of bands before they became big, I win this thread.

I hate it when they become huge, and no longer is my own crush.

It's just the mentality most music enthusiasts have. Everyone wants to be the first to know about something, and be 'that guy' that first to hear about a band before anyone else. It doesn't make you more or less of a fan in my opinion. The bigger the band gets the better in most cases. They will have more funding from the record label which lets them do bigger and more tours per year, put out more records if they want to, and be able to tap into other markets.

It's just the mentality most music enthusiasts have. Everyone wants to be the first to know about something, and be 'that guy' that first to hear about a band before anyone else. It doesn't make you more or less of a fan in my opinion. The bigger the band gets the better in most cases. They will have more funding from the record label which lets them do bigger and more tours per year, put out more records if they want to, and be able to tap into other markets.

I guess that explains the popularity of these t-shirts :p

Pabulum ! Fucking awesome. I just love their stuff.. I think Nasty-Fire and Resonator already know it ;)

Yea I learned how to play parts of The Funeral Portrait using the cover that guy made. It's gonna be good stuff for sure but he needs to find a good vocalist.

I discovered Opeth around the release of Deliverance but never really "listened" to them until Watershed. However, Morningrise is one of my favorite albums.

It doesn't matter when you start listening to a band. Just as long as you listen to good music because it's good music, it's all good.

I guess I should share my perspective of the whole thing.

I consider myself lucky to have been listening to Opeth since Orchid. It's been fun following the band progress through the years and albums. I was also present during the whole Gothenburg movement and all that. And because of that, I probably have a different view of the band than most people that have only listened to the band for a short period of time.

I guess I do consider myself a true fan, since it hasn't really been a phase for me. Yes, there have been periods when I've listened more to Opeth and periods when I've been listening less to them, but I've never gotten tired of them.

However, I do not consider myself a bigger fan than many other fans. And I don't think it's important anyway. :) Did that make sense?