The almighty Bathory

Rocky Raccoon

I am the Walrus
Feb 24, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
So I recently got into these guys from various recommedations mainly from this forum.
I can see that Mike has been influenced quite a bit by Quorthon.
Bathory were very ahead of their time as are Opeth in my opinion.
I've got 3 albums so far, Under the sign of the black mark, Blood Fire Death & Warheart. I enjoy them pretty much equally but Quorthon's songwriting abilities get noticeably better over each album.
So what are everyones thoughts on Bathory? favourite albums/songs etc?
Are all their albums as good as these 3?
Does anyone know Mikes favourite Bathory album?

I don't know his favorite but I believe the shirt Mikael is wearing in parts of the documentary on the Lamentations DVD is the cover from the self titled album which was also the first Bathory album (yes, I know I'm a bit of a fanboy for noticing that...but whatever...). My favorite is probably Blood Fire Death. Bathory is easily one of my favorite groups. Quorthon most definitely does equal genius.

Nothing in Bathory's black metal era trumps Blood Fire Death. I'd guesst hat's one of Mikael's favourites, or perhaps he enjoys them all. When each album has something unique to offer, it's impossible to decide which one is your favourite without feeling as if you've caused some kind of injustice by not acknowledging a different album you enjoyed equally, hence the run-on sentence I tacked on this post after saying Blood Fire Death is the best.

"Nordland I" was in my CD player continually for a year after I bought the album. "Nordland II" was interesting as well. I anticipated another release under the Bathory name, but Quorthon died. Poor guy. It depressed me at the time, because Chuck died only a few years before Quorthon.

Mikael, don't do anything stupid. It seems as if some intangible force wants to destroy heavy metal. We can't let that happen.

So I'm rambling now. Anyway, Bathory's great, you can't go wrong with Quorthon's music, and I wish longevity upon Mikael and the rest of the band.

i'm a big fan of Bathory. Quorthon died too young.

i love the viking imagery he uses, especially in the songs a fine day to die and shores in flames. those are two epics that i've been listening to a lot lately from the albums blood fire death and hammerheart respectively.

GodAm said:
i'm a big fan of Bathory. Quorthon died too young.

i love the viking imagery he uses, especially in the songs a fine day to die and shores in flames. those are two epics that i've been listening to a lot lately from the albums blood fire death and hammerheart respectively.

yea those are 2 of my favourites!

I was totally taken by Bathory when I first got into them. I bought their first 6 individually and was blown away with each purchase at a time. His music was definitely sincere and original...not only did he initially bring black metal to a new level of extremity(also being the first imo to make bm what is today) but he also started a full on viking sound and theme too. His viking side and his black metal/thrash side and his other styles came so natural when he wrote those songs...no one could recreate that same atmosphere and feeling he had. Not to mention consistantly write as many good songs (well Opeth, Death, Anathema are select few that compete in that area)....it was a let down when he reformed the band(after the teens stopped burning churches) because his music wasn't as powerful and good. He probably wasn't inspired by something. RIP qourthon for making some of the best metal music.

to answer one of your questions benighted1, those probably are the best 3 albums... try getting Twilight of the Gods, that one's also great. Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart are my favourites, although i also enjoy the first albums.

Great band.
Quothron bring black metal to. Than made one of the best Viking´s material and continued with ambient like stuff. Died too young, but he definitely has deserved respect from us.
A have all discography but listened to old BM and new ambient-like stuff mainly, I am goint to listen to viking stuff more.
Anyway he wasn´t as good singer as songwriter....

I like his vocals they are soo raw like a mixture or screaming, screeching and and attempts to sing....it's like he just recorded his vocals in one take and said that'll do.

on the official site (bathory.se or smth) there's a really interesting biography written by quorthon himself... unfortunately, it's been cut short (along with any other site updates) when quorthon died in june 2004 :(

rip

Bathory are fucking great; one of the best metal bands ever. Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods are my favorite albums (although I do like Hammerheart a bit more).

Under the Runes, One Rode To Asa Bay, Valhalla, A Fine Day To Die, Blood and Iron, are probably my favorite songs.

Don't listen to it because Mikael likes it goddamnit, listen because Quorthon = god.

Everyone needs to buy Blood Fire Death. Now.

A Fine Day to Die = best song ever.