Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
BATHORY - NORDLAND II
Black Mark - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

Bathory%20cover.jpg

Let's be honest here, since Twilight of the Gods Quorthon and musical entity of Bathory had nothing really going for itself. With four greatest hits albums released (the three Jubilem's and Katalog and three duds of studio albums, Bathory had become a joke. It all changed with last year's Nordland I evoking memories of past glory and giving the feeling that maybe Quorthon was back. With every intention of releasing a second part to Nordland, it was going to be really interesting to find out if the second would be just as good or better than the first. Sadly that is not the case as Nordland II fails to capture the energy that was found in the first album.

The overall pace in this one is a lot slower and lacks the passion and fire that was prevalent in their previous offering. What is found here are long mid-tempo ballads with the traditional elements of orchestration, choirs, heavy riffs to drive oneself into sleep. This material just sounds boring and I get the "If it isn't broken why fix it" formula. There are some good moments like "The Land" with great riffs and melodies, the intensity of "Death and Resurrection of A Northern Son" (but I would have preferred that middle section being axed) and the 10-minute "The Messenger" with a very cool guitar melody jumping in throughout the song. However, these songs just pale in comparison to the ones found in Nordland I and the fact that you have to go through so much mediocrity to get to these songs really don?t make it worth my while.

With other albums in this genre like the new Moonsorrow simply blowing Norldand II away, I would suggest to avoid this one. If you already have the first part then you are not missing anything at all.

Black Mark Website
Bathory Unofficial Website

i actually like nordland II a lot better than the first part and imho there are some real classics on this one. the new moonsorrow is great, no doubt, but after hearing both nordland II and the new moonsorrow i don't really think they can be compared...

Let's be honest here, since Twilight of the Gods Quorthon and musical entity of Bathory had nothing really going for itself. With four greatest hits albums released (the three Jubilem's and Katalog and three duds of studio albums, Bathory had become a joke. It all changed with last year's Nordland I evoking memories of past glory and giving the feeling that maybe Quorthon was back. With every intention of releasing a second part to Nordland, it was going to be really interesting to find out if the second would be just as good or better than the first. Sadly that is not the case as Nordland II fails to capture the energy that was found in the first album.

The overall pace in this one is a lot slower and lacks the passion and fire that was prevalent in their previous offering. What is found here are long mid-tempo ballads with the traditional elements of orchestration, choirs, heavy riffs to drive oneself into sleep. This material just sounds boring and I get the "If it isn't broken why fix it" formula. There are some good moments like "The Land" with great riffs and melodies, the intensity of "Death and Resurrection of A Northern Son" (but I would have preferred that middle section being axed) and the 10-minute "The Messenger" with a very cool guitar melody jumping in throughout the song. However, these songs just pale in comparison to the ones found in Nordland I and the fact that you have to go through so much mediocrity to get to these songs really don?t make it worth my while.

With other albums in this genre like the new Moonsorrow simply blowing Norldand II away, I would suggest to avoid this one. If you already have the first part then you are not missing anything at all.

THE GUY MUST BE JOKING AND MUST BE DEAF.....

this album has a few decent tracks but not enough to warrant a purchase this band needs to be erased they,ve had a decent run now it is time to go, so Bathory feel my mental energy and no more albums please especially after putting out Destroyer of worlds which was one of the worst albums in the history of music.

I think that the Nordland albums are graet, but the Bathory-Twilight of the Gods period of albums is much better.