Bathory - Nordland I

Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Bathory - Nordland I
Black Mark, 2002

578_1.jpg

In 2001 many awaited for a new Bathory opus, but what they felt when they got it, was disappointment. Only true fanatics of Quorthon kept hailing Destroyer Of Worlds. So at the end of 2002 most of his listeners cautiosly took peeps at the glaringly blue cover of his newest work, Nordland I. The unbelievable blue picture is really cheesy but at least together with the Bathory name you can easily guess what kind of music you may find on the cd.

But now step over the cover and let's listen to the music. The album is just few seconds shorter than one hour, containing 10 songs. 10 real, atmospheric, viking compositon. Hymnic or mournful - depending on the actual song's story. Overall, the word epic describes the album the best. Slow, mid-tempod rhythms are leading the album, that some may find boring, but it gives a leap to the resting viking hearts again. Even the sound is the same again, the old, Bathory character, that sounds very poor to our ears nowadays, but knowing the Bathory albums it brings up nice memories. Folk melodies, acoustic guitars, the sounds of the sea and the clanging swords makes the album really viking-ish. Of course Quorthon is still not the best singer but his clear voice fits to the mood of the music, he becomes the storyteller of Nordland I.

Typical viking-ish intro opens the album and we can feel we are one among the brave warriors. Then comes the epic title track with the well known chorus parts and with a strong Bathory aura. 'Vinerblot' is a melodic, guitar centric song in that the folk side is stronger. There are some more metal songs, like 'Dragons Breath'. These types of song are repeated on the album except for the totally acoustical piece, 'Ring Of Gold'.

I think with this 'back to the past' album Bathory gets his throne back, giving a guideline again to the many new bands who are into vm. Those who are meeting the band for the first time may not understand my lines, but those who were into Bathory will find this album quite familiar. This album will gain back the trust and the respect of the Bathory listeners to the band.
And there is a promise about the second part, Nordland II, that will be the continuation of this album and should come out in the next few weeks.

Tracklist:
1. Prelude
2. Nordland
3. Vinterblot
4. Dragons Breath
5. Ring of Gold
6. Foreverdark Woods
7. Broken Sword
8. Great Hall Awaits a Fallen Brother
9. Mother Earth Father Thunder
10. Heimfard

Bathory Homepage
Black Mark Productions

I've seen mixed reviews for this album and can understand both sides after listening many times to it. On the one hand if you liked the previous concept albums by Bathory you will certainly like this one. The familiarity and warm feeling of the production will definitely take hold of you. On the other hand, if you didn't like Bathory's concept albums in the past this one you won't like either. The production and mix is average or worse as always with Bathory and some may not feel the charm of that. Then there are those that simply won't like the slow epic song style or musicianship. If you've never heard Bathory's concept work you should start with the awesome Blood On Ice album before picking this one up.