Votes: 37 24.0%
  • Deliverance

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Damnation

Votes: 7 4.5%

• Total voters
illbeleavinnow said:
Damn. I want to change my vote.

MAYH it is. I mean I finally got it. One day it just snapped and the album is sheer genius. It's so... beautiful, serene. It's undescribable. Now I feel sorry for all of those who don't like the album.

*saw that coming :) *

I don't understand this whole "I can't believe *****" is winning. I mean sure I like some opeth albums more than others but not to the extent that I can't easily understand why some would enjoy any one more. If you are an opeth fan and you dislike an opeth album so much that you can't believe another opeth fan would prefer it then I truly feel sorry for you. I'm glad I enjoy them all.

1. Blackwater Park
2. My Arms, Your Hearse
3. Orchid (Such an underrated album)
4. Still Life
5. Deliverance
6. Morningrise (and I know some of you will think this is absurd right here)
7. Damnation

hmm......Still Life..........MAYH.............
I think Still Life is my favorite because it was my first opeth album and is the one with the most jazz influence. Besides I think the clean guitar parts on Still Life are on of the best opeth did.

Do you feel the need to make a post every four minutes to bash on someone because you're so sure Damnation has jazz influences?

Tell me then, where are these jazz influences? And prove to me that you actually know what jazz influences sound like.

Maybe then I'll listen to you. If only you'd have made a single intelligent post on the subject rather than posting little shitbits of sentences every few minutes I'd pay some attention to you.

Moron.

You can say almost everything is jazz influenced that is not linear, anything that is played slightly behind or ahead, has an off time or has a wrong note that is corrected by the next, but let me tell you there is very litte "classic" jazz that shines through in most opeth if anything the strongest influence you hear is the blues aside from of course black metal.

Morningrise.......it and orchid...were what got me into opeth........they hold something special.........and i like the fact the mikaels vocals improved on morningrise.......and there is more acoustic goodness

As a funk jazz inspired bass player I hear not much Jazz in Opeths's music. The tritone is the go as it is for most metal and how they weave it is remarkable. Chromaticism is the thing that jazz has. Simple. That weaving in and out of tonality is jazz. Opeth are not jazzy they are progressive rock. Jazz is a different thing yet I would say fusion influenced is OK, which of course is influenced by jazz.
So is Atheist Death/Jazz as they proclaim. Well maybe. Its fusion which has been around as a category since the early 70's.
Opeth are still in a guitar focused prog rock , some keyboards frame. Not jazz, not yet.
Once you get into chromatic scales the rock just disappears. Pentatonic scales rule the world. And that is an undeniable fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like you i am still yet to get the Morningrise experience. I await the revelation of audible bass and long drawn out ideas that Orchid did so much better. Then we go on to the later releases and well it is just more cool. I am seriously missing something but I feel not. Morningrise is an overrated album. so there, I said it.
BWP is superior in all ways. Although I dislike its seemingly comercial appeal. LOlL Sepultura copycat in the first song is OK by me.
Then it is just them. Great stuff.
Deliverance sees the band actually progressing. Coroner and Voiovod are influences to be proud of.
Which if you listen closely to BWP their most misunderstood album you can hear. Why were we suprised.
And to the monumental moment of the title track.Well ................

Needled24Seven said:
you wanna know something about jazz? the biggest thing about jazz is something called improvising. am i there to fuckin watch them improvise? no! i can hear the jazz influences in the riffs, bass lines and drum beats not to mention the somewhat use of odd time. since you obviously cant hear it, i wont pretend you know what im talking about. its also clear that you dont play any instruments. by the way, arent you the kid who just started to listen to opeth 2 months ago? but now you act like your some metal god. just because you went out and bought a whole shit load of metal cds doesnt mean you know something, because once again you obviously dont.
1.) What does knowledge about jazz make me think I'm a metal god? I don't claim to know anymore about metal than anyone else.

2.) I won the NH high school piano competition and next year I plan on entering the contest that takes the road to nationals, so yes, I play an instrument and am quite good at it.

3.) My music theory teacher loves jazz and the first quarter was devoted to it.

4.) You still haven't answered my question about what are jazz influences.

5.) Name me these "odd" time signatures.

6.) The basslines are normal rock basslines.

7.) The riffs are if anything more blues oriented.

8.) The drumming is the only jazz influence, but then again, a lot of slow rock songs use this sort of drumming.

9.) Besides EC, the only blatant jazz influence is the 5 second drum solo in Windowpane to build up for the orgasm of the song

10.) That's about it. Feel free to respond.

narcisco said:
Once you get into chromatic scales the rock just disappears. Pentatonic scales rule the world. And that is an undeniable fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pentatonic scales are a bitch to play on the guitar. :tickled: Next to harmonic minors they sound the coolest. Or at least tied with the impressionistic step-wise scale. Those always put me in trances.

Needled24Seven said:
I feel that i need to go over the fact that when saying its got the biggest jazz influences means out of the cds it has the biggest influences. meaning it has very little but out of the cds it has more than the rest(ending credits however has quite a bit)

Dammit dude why didn't you say that from the beginning? :tickled: We could've avoided this whole argument.

I still think that Damnation has no jazz influences save the drum solo in Windowpane and EC but if you really think there are be my guest. As long as you don't start saying that Opeth is progressive doom/death metal with heavy jazz influences. =P