The almighty Bathory

Deadlift said:
I can`t stand the production. It sucks. I don`t listen to music that sounds like shit.

Its part of the atmosphere man.. especially on Blood fire death & Hamerheart.
Gives you a more authentic viking feel to the music. Raw & brutal etc

Hmmm... I think Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods are my favourites. Sometimes I do like to listen to the older black metal stuff though, but the newer stuff never really gripped me the way those two albums did. The song "One Rode To Asa Bay" is one of my all time favourite songs. The lyrics to that song says a lot about Swedens history... And they actually played it on MTV once (the whole 13 minutes or so). I couldn't believe my eyes/ears. :D I think it was Aaron Stainthorpe from My Dying Bride that was the VJ that evening. :worship:

All Bathory is great, but Nordland I and II have to be some of the most underrated albums ever. They are pure fucking brilliance. Quorthon's musicianship on the albums is far better than any of his previous albums and the atmosphere of the albums is fucking amazing. Its obvious he put so much emotion in those albums... All most Bathory fans ever talk about is the early BM stuff, which is fine stuff, but give Nordland its fucking dues too. Brilliant albums, and they should easily make anyones top list for greatest albums of all time, simply for the atmosphere and emotion put into the music... Not to mention the effort put into it, all by himself. ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY QUORTHON!

Blood Fire Death is possibly the most essential metal album ever. After I listened to it, I began to understand black metal and death metal as genres, as expressions. It is the album that expresses Viking/Black metal at its purest, its most passionate, and most accessible. Now I understand what Immortal was trying to do, but they sound silly and contrived in comparison, to my ears.

I also fully came to appreciate Amon Amarth as more than a novelty. I saw the mantle of Viking Metal that they took on after Quorthon's death, and they wear it proudly. I've never had more fun at a concert than during Amon Amarth's set!