sh*t opeth interview: may i vent?

bleeding hero

New Metal Member
Jan 17, 2007
manila, philippines
i just watched an interview with per and martin mendez. the guy who conducted it clearly had little idea who he was talking to, asking stupid questions that obviously betrayed his lack of opeth knowledge.

i was cringing. per and martin were both good sports though; they played along with it, martin just chilling and being funny, per doing his best to inject the interview with some form of intelligence.

here are some questions asked, paraphrased somewhat:

"what's the writing process for you guys, does it just flow or is it hard for you... what are your influences, how do you approach the writing process etc etc...?"

mendez smirked. "i just play bass," he said. per later pointed out that mikael does most of the songwriting.

"i heard you had some technical difficulties on one of your albums..."

two albums actually: deliverance and damnation. moron! at least reference the albums in question! i mean, if he knew enough to know that they had trouble recording those albums, he should've at least made note of their titles.

"why did you choose to play an entire album in some of your concerts at one point?"

he was referring to damnation, obviously. again, he couldn't name the album. a real expert this interviewer. i thought the answer was obvious. apparently so did per, who explained that because damnation was a mellow album, it just made sense to play it in it's entirety. it was a unique album and worked well played whole.

sorry dudes, the interviewer just really got on my nerves. his questions, his seeming lack of interview experience... it was like listening to an overly long fart. it starts out exciting but the longer it gets, the more annoying it becomes.

opeth deserve better than that. in fact, no band - with the exception of perhaps hanson and every boyband in existence - should have to put up with those kinds of interviews. WTF?

The interviewer asked some decent questions for most (casual) fans. So much drama out of nothing.

well, as an interview for casual fans i guess it was ok. he could've prepared himself better though. too much drama over nothing? maybe. just that i think people who do conduct interviews should brush up on their subject matter before forging ahead with their questions. you risk sounding like an idiot if you interview people ill-prepared. it could've been better. to watch a guy only mildly familiar with opeth converse with the band and ask petty questions gets on my nerves. i prefer meat, not residual flakes of skin. then again, that's me.

well, as an interview for casual fans i guess it was ok. he could've prepared himself better though. too much drama over nothing? maybe. just that i think people who do conduct interviews should brush up on their subject matter before forging ahead with their questions. you risk sounding like an idiot if you interview people ill-prepared. it could've been better. to watch a guy only mildly familiar with opeth converse with the band and ask petty questions gets on my nerves. i prefer meat, not residual flakes of skin. then again, that's me.

I agree somewhat about this. It was pretty pathetic asking Mendez questions on the writing process, and talking to Per like he's been with the band since Orchid. Still fun to see Mendez and Per talk for a change though.

I liked how Per and Mendez got a chance to do an interview... an ill attempt at an interview, but one never the less.

I wish I could interview them... I do an excellent job. I'd get some requests from you guys and know who I am talking to! Instead of asking Mendez 'bout the writing process.

Just because they're not doing the writing, doesn't mean they're ignorant on the process. I'm sure they have input on what's recorded. I think they could have elaborated on the process a bit more than they led on. But it is ausome that they're getting an opertunity to share their thoughts.

in my opinion the both of them looked really uncomfortable during the whole interview. Agreed that the questions were a little off, especially since Per is newish and Mendez "just plays bass". But it just shows that those two are probably teh guys that would rather stay out of the media for the most part. Mike and Pete do great interviews generally and really kinda sum up what the band is doing/where its going.

It was great that they did the interview though, and I would like to hear more from them in the future. But maybe wait until the next record where they can have something more to contribute.