Here's an Idea

Heliotropic_Rose

in the soil beneath
Nov 17, 2004
Austin, Texas
Does anyone else think it'd be cool for Opeth to put out a straight forward Death metal album, kinda bloodbath esque with only death vox's no clean whatsoever and then put out another album that's heavy as well, still has the progressive feel to it, but is just clean vox's. So no this would not be damnation and deliverance 2 at all, cause damnation has no heavy parts. I'm talking about being just as heavy as any opeth album is but just have melodic singing, and then the other album just be the most brutal death metal ever :hotjump:

I think doing it would take away what makes Opeth different from other DM and prog bands, and so I'm not sure I would go for it. They'd probably be good albums, but not as good, you know?

yeh it just wouldn't be Opeth. They'd be restricting themselves, i don't think the music would come naturally (ridding the tracks of acoustic breaks, progressions...).

It would be an alright concept but they should do it under a different name not to take away from the "Opeth" rep

But then again i think mike should just do a whole album of just epilogueish and Mordet i Grottan...ish stuff.

phagist_ said:
yeh it just wouldn't be Opeth. They'd be restricting themselves, i don't think the music would come naturally (ridding the tracks of acoustic breaks, progressions...).

I second that 100%

phagist_ said:

Third that.

They could always have more death metal parts to a song (like, as little singing as on Orchid) but the clean parts are just an element of their sound that cannont be lost.

But for the record, I am glad Mike did Breeding Death and Resurrection through Carnage because his death vocals are simply too good not to have some records of him just kicking ass.

phagist_ said:

It just wouldn't be Opeth. Maybe as a side project.. but I don't think whatever was produced would match up the mastery of Opeth

there is reason there exist side projects ... bloodbath was one of them. so if you want DM like bloodbath, listen to bloodbath ...
and if you have musical ideas that are influenced by opeth but are different, then perhaps you should consider creating it yourself, instead of claiming that opeth could do it ... (this goes for any band of course)
let the bands do what they want, and if you think there should be something else, then create that yourself! ... this is how new genres and new bands are created you know ;)

Heliotropic_Rose said:
Does anyone else think it'd be cool for Opeth to put out a straight forward Death metal album, kinda bloodbath esque with only death vox's no clean whatsoever and then put out another album that's heavy as well, still has the progressive feel to it, but is just clean vox's. So no this would not be damnation and deliverance 2 at all, cause damnation has no heavy parts. I'm talking about being just as heavy as any opeth album is but just have melodic singing, and then the other album just be the most brutal death metal ever :hotjump:
No.

affinityband said:
i reckon it could be a cool idea. Opeth restrict themselves by doing clean/acoustic sound thing in everything. I know its part of Opeth. But none of their songs represent pure anger which is what i would love too see.

Blackwater Park?
Wreath?

Its been done before.

affinityband said:
are you telling me that those 2 songs dont have clean, acoustic passages? and wreath has clean vocals.

BWP is Opeth's "Angry" song
Wreath is Opeth's "Heavy Song"

They could get more angry or heavy but I don't want it to be forced...like "An acoustic passage would sound nice here. Oh shit, we can't do that, this is supposed to be our brutal death metal song."
If they naturally write a very brutal song, I would not complain.

A Reason To Sing said:
I also agree with that. :) It just wouldn't be Opeth.
oh and here I thought Opeth was all about changing shit up and surprising there fans....guess I was wrong.

If you were an opeth fan from orchid to BWP you would have never thought of a full melodic cd, and yet we have it, and love it. Damnation was in some ways a forced mellow cd....I think a forced brutal album would rock out! and the other album style I suggest would be opeth from start to finish, heavy as hell, acoustic breaks and everything, just no death vox's......I mean look at face of melinda it's gets heavy later on and I'd like to see more clean vocal songs like that, cause most of there clean songs don't get heavy at all

I can agree with some songs not having acoustic parts at all, that could be cool, but not an entire album, it just wouldn't be Opeth.

I don't mind progression though, in fact I hope they get some really refreshing and didn't-think-about-that-kind of ideas.