Do I smell a slow sellout in the works

Actually I was pondering this aspect for myself. Reading this thread has eased my mind on this aspect, I'd sure miss their old style if they gave up the growls and intense guitar riffs. Hopefully you all are right and they won't give up their trademarks.

SacredSerenity said:
Damnation will surely not be a sellout album. By definition, a sellout album is one on which the artist or band compromises musical integrity in order to achieve a greater degree of commercial success. I think reading any Opeth interview shows how the band has high standards for its work and wouldn't take such a path. Damnation represents not a diluting of Opeth's style, but a cool change. I see no reason to fear the new album.

As for continuing with the direction of Damnation, there's no reason to think Opeth will get rid off all the trademarks (i.e. growls, guitars) and stick with the totally mellow theme. It would seem that Damnation is merely a departure for the here and now, an experimental album from a band that wanted to try something new.

I really can't wait to get my hands on it.
Agreed 100% :)

deathbearer said:
The nex Opeth release will be a non metal CD..Remember that Opeth have BOTH heavy and mellow elements in thier music..Mike wanted two show the two elemts two their extremes..I very heavy relase (Deliverance) and a mellow one (Damantion) ..Nothing to be afraid of..Opeth still own, they are just taking thier chances and experimenting..

Hear, Hear!! I second that.

@Black Paragon
After reading your incredibly long post on this page(I didnt realize there was a second page when I first replied), I deleted my first statement. You've made your point, and its a damn good one. I can't find anything to disagree with. You cleared up everything that I had a problem with from your first post.

In regards to your "new" breed of metal fans...my high school is a bit different from most, listening to metal isn't exactly "stylish". In fact there is no metal in my school. I'm trying to bring it around to kids who may appreciate it, its a tough business though. I think there is another "new" breed of metal fans that you are missing, and it's those like me who have no exposure to it except over the internet and maybe a few friends, and are trying to spread it around.

Opeth wouldnt sell out..... theyve done music like that of damnation before on previous albums if you did not notice because your "NEW" to opeth and their sound...... i wouldnt refer to the word sell out... even if they did start writing all acoustic 70's prog rock stuff.... i would consider it selling out id opeth put on masks and played ridiculous guitar riffs and screamed like a fat 6 year old girl......

everyone's so worried about it being sellout that if it was good but commercial you would stop listening to it
did Carcass lose their fanbase when they released Swansong? Iron Maiden is on virgin records and I don't see people complaining about it

Well yeah because it wasn't such a good album but not because it was released on a big label
it was still death metal but it wasn't a very good album
I kinda liked one song or two.

Wow, I just actually read that whole post. (Ok, ok I got bored, hehe).

Very interesting. I don't really think of things in terms of then being 'Metal'. I don't think I've ever listened to, or looked at something and thought, 'Wow, that's Metal! \m/'. To me, metal is just the name of the genre, no more, no less. It's easy to tell when something is metal, and when it's good metal...but I never think of metal (the genre), in terms of Metal (the lifestyle or whatever).

Metal is just the music I love.

*shrugs*

Yes, I agree...when you listen to it and then take a listen at what the mainstream is doing, fuck theres simply no connection.

NO ONE is making music like this nowadays. The closest comparison would be Sigur Ros I think. However, Damnation is very much one of the most original albums I've heard...it's VERY Opeth and yet there's something else there unlike anything I've heard from there before. I think its the whole 'prog' influence, it reminds me of King Crimson quite a bit.

Damnation will definitely widen Opeth's fan base... I know a few "non-metal" people who will surely love the album. Hell, maybe we'll even see Opeth on late at night on MTV2. BUT THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING SUCCESSFUL AND SELLING OUT! I hope Opeth gets rich.. they deserve it more than any one else. But they will not bow down to trends ever.. Maiden never did that and that's the reason for their longevity. Opeth will continue to get bigger and bigger... some might say that's selling out but I say its what naturally happens when a band is THAT good.