Do I smell a slow sellout in the works

Alteredmindeath

Wasteland Survivor
Mar 5, 2003
Underneath your bed
zombie.gif
fork_off.gif
Damnation may be a good album, but Deliverance is a true Opeth record, and I hope Damnation isnt the begining of some new act that sticks. I support the death Growls and evil eerie heavy guitar melodies.

Damnation will surely not be a sellout album. By definition, a sellout album is one on which the artist or band compromises musical integrity in order to achieve a greater degree of commercial success. I think reading any Opeth interview shows how the band has high standards for its work and wouldn't take such a path. Damnation represents not a diluting of Opeth's style, but a cool change. I see no reason to fear the new album.

As for continuing with the direction of Damnation, there's no reason to think Opeth will get rid off all the trademarks (i.e. growls, guitars) and stick with the totally mellow theme. It would seem that Damnation is merely a departure for the here and now, an experimental album from a band that wanted to try something new.

I really can't wait to get my hands on it.

@ Ian
:lol:
@ Alteredmindeath
A change in sound does not lead directly to a "sell out". Even if they did change their style all together (which they won't do, jackass) to something of mellow 70's prog how would that be selling out? I mean, when was the last time you saw some singer-songwriter/experimental 70's Prog as the "next big thing" on MTV?
In conclusion, the only thing you're smelling is the inside of your gaping ass hole (oh I am so clever).

I think this next record is going to be EVEN BETTER than Deliverance... Then again, it helps a little if you like that kind of 70s progressive rock in the first place... Besides, even though I absolutely love death metal, it's the progressive aspect of Opeth's music that makes me love them as much as I do...

Morningrise said:
In conclusion, the only thing you're smelling is the inside of your gaping ass hole (oh I am so clever).
:lol::lol::lol:

On a lighter note:
It isn't even necessary to address this concern over Opeth "selling out", but for some reason I'm going to do it anyway. By the way, I'm getting sick of these fucking "is Opeth going to sell out" threads. There is no real logical comment that I can make with regards to that. Actually, scratch that, only logic can manifest itself in place of that rancid squirting of mental diarrhea. If you understand Opeth, you wouldn't even ask such a ridiculous question (damn, I'm wasting valuable bytes with this). Does the concept that by releasing Damnation Opeth is basically saying "fuck it, we'll do whatever we want to do" actually elude you sceptics, or are you just typing to watch yourself type? Now, I better stop lest I come under attack (once again) by the "new" metalheads. Notice I didn't say nu-metal. I'm not talking about nu-metal. I'm talking about NEW Metal. It's something I've noticed since I began posting in this forum. It's a plague. The predominant symptom is a concept that metal is ONLY about the music. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, so shut the fuck up and please don't prove my point. I'm sick of you "new" Metalheads proving my point. And then I have to go through and delete all my posts that are laced with truly cynical humor straight from the bowels of Satan so as not to hurt your feelings. Then write a fucking esssay which explains that what I'm doing is called "humor" and "hazing" and what the fuck, do you think you can just wake up one day and say "I'm gonna be Metal from now on"? You can like metal, and not be Metal. I have no problem with that. My Mom likes metal. But she's not Metal. I'm not attacking her. But, if she was to start talking about how Metal she was just because she likes some metal bands, like Opeth, I would definitely have to sit her down and talk some sense in to her, because my Mom is not Metal. I mean, you can't just call yourself a hippie one day just because you feel like calling yourself a hippie, and because you like "hippie music" (wait, isn't that what a poser is?). There's a specific mentality attached to the label "hippie". And so there is with Metal. I must say, the metal scene in the states is looking an awful lot like the goth scene of several years ago (e.g. "oh my gosh, check out my new leather gauntlet!). Oh, it's still underground I suppose (just like the goth scene), but it's just so fucking sickeningly stylish. Oh, woe to them who lose sight of the true meaning of the word: Metal. For a definition of the word, see Opeth... fucking selling out?... Opeth... what the fuck? Every time I check this board I feel like I'm watching Jacob's Ladder on acid again. :D

Okay everyone, attack!

Damnation will be sweet. I look forward to the live shows of it with deep anticipation. I can see myself falling into an abyss of masterful acoustics, quite the style to bust out when ur stoned out of ur mind and playing guitar.

Oh and btw, Morningrise, NICE FUCKING AVATAR! Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is the best 2d-action game ever... EVER! Alucard is fucking awesome! I must've played that game over a dozen times, I know where every secret is, and once I get the Chrissaegrim... it's all over. :D

BlackParagon said:
I'm sick of you "new" Metalheads proving my point. And then I have to go through and delete all my posts that are laced with truly cynical humor straight from the bowels of Satan so as not to hurt your feelings. Then write a fucking esssay which explains that what I'm doing is called "humor" and "hazing" and what the fuck, do you think you can just wake up one day and say "I'm gonna be Metal from now on"?

Okay everyone, attack!

Well, you DID ask for it :heh:

Since you're clearly referring to the little tete-a-tete we had earlier, I've got to respond. I have no doubt as to your sincerity or your Metalness or your seniority on the scene, yet I've still got to call you on this.

When you're using really impossible-to-decipher "humor" and then doing a big bitch session because I didn't get it and I'm small-m metal not big-m Metal, sorry, YOU aren't being Metal. You're just being a jackass. Expressing my deeply rooted respect for Opeth isn't going to ruin the band or its fanbase.

Now let's just move on.

Alteredmindeath said:
zombie.gif
fork_off.gif
Damnation may be a good album, but Deliverance is a true Opeth record, and I hope Damnation isnt the begining of some new act that sticks. I support the death Growls and evil eerie heavy guitar melodies.

If this is your opinion, than it sounds like you haven't figured out what a "true" Opeth record is.

Next question.

ditches said:
Well, you DID ask for it :heh:
When you're using really impossible-to-decipher "humor" and then doing a big bitch session because I didn't get it and I'm small-m metal not big-m Metal, sorry, YOU aren't being Metal. You're just being a jackass

I'm not metal either :p
I love music, and if that's metal, so it is, if not, so what?... :rolleyes:

The nex Opeth release will be a non metal CD..Remember that Opeth have BOTH heavy and mellow elements in thier music..Mike wanted two show the two elemts two their extremes..I very heavy relase (Deliverance) and a mellow one (Damantion) ..How mant times has he said this in interviews..No reason to think that Opeth wil sell out, after al the radio is saturated with bad nu metal and
commercial modern rock crap..Opeth are none of these..I like both elements so I'm looking forward to Dleiverance (even if it's a non metal release ) and like others many are curious..Nothing to be afraid of..Opeth still own, they are just taking thier chances and experimenting..

Damnation will be the pinnacle of Opeth's career in music. It is by no means selling out, unless the masses suddenly find themselves able to digest complex, non-repetetive popcrap and embrace talent, artistry, and itegrity (my three favourite buzzwords).

Even if Opeth starts to show up on the radio and TV, I'd know in my heart of hearts that the music they created was pure, and that the subsequent success is merely a reflection of that purity, not the reason for its creation.

I have no doubt that Opeth will have more "METAL" albums after D2, but I feel that their style will take several more changes before the Opeth legacy is complete.

And I'll be in line to get every album first, dammit.

NP: Kansas - Dust in the Wind