Ghost Reveries IS a masterpiece

Korlich

So Judah fucked it up
Jul 28, 2003
Århus, Denmark
Ok so a lot of ppl have been talking shit about GR lately, saying Opeth sold out, or that joining RR made them release a shitty prog/pop record etc. All I have to say too you ppl is learn to apprieciate Opeth for what they are an extreme metal act that loves to experiment with their music. Ok so maybe you don´t like this experiment ( I didn´t much fancy the experiment they made with Deliverance and Damnation)

My point is, this may NOT have been what you expected or hoped for but at least respect Opeth for maiking yet another solid musical effort.

Personally I think this is Opeth´s second master piece, the first one being Still Life. So if u you don´t agree with that fine, just don´t say a record containing Double pedal drums, growls and crushing distorted riffs isn´t metal music, and don´t say this record would have sounded different had it been released on a diff record label, we all know that´s a lie.

I am with you. I guess people give too much attetion to what bands wear, their looking and about the label thing.

Mumblefood said:
It is not a masterpiece. It's a solid album though, albeit not very moving. I think people forget Opeth used to be a very emotional band. They've not been able to do that very well for a few years now.

I agree. It's a good album and a great comeback from D1/D2 which were a little underwhelming (particularly Deliverance). But compared to their backcatalog I really don't see how you could call this album their masterpiece.

I personally love GR. Every Opeth album is different, which is one of the things I love about them. They're going to do their own thing, so just deal with it. I'm glad Opeth refuses to be pigeonholed into a particular genre, or sub-genre of music. It's all subjective anyway.

As much as we have discussed this over and over again. Opeth is still emotional for me, anyone who says that they aren't emotional anymore musn't have heard GR, cause that is a pretty amusing comment to make.

This is also a masterpiece for me, its no different from all their other albums. The music quality on this album is on par with everything else they have done, so there for, this is a masterpiece.

And as for RR, I bet if GR was released on another label like Relapse, The End, Season of Mist, etc, everyone would be creating puddles of drool.

Ikil

I've deleted all the spam. Just because a thread is reiterating past ones doesn't give anyone concession to subvert the rules of the forum. Thanks. Thanks to you dudes participating in actual discussion.

Mumblefood said:
It is not a masterpiece. It's a solid album though, albeit not very moving. I think people forget Opeth used to be a very emotional band. They've not been able to do that very well for a few years now.

I totally agree. Their last few albums have been solid, no doubt, but there is just something missing for some people. I like the album very much but it is no different in emotional content than D1 and 2 for me.

Its ok if you still think they're making their best music. Some people just happen to disagree and have very good reasons for feeling that way.

On a totally different note, Arcturus' new album is better than I thought it would be ^_^.

Individual taste. There are no two sets of ears alike. Each person takes something different out of music. Each artist knows this.

My ears tell me that Ghost Reveries is pure Opeth. It's totally different than their other albums, yet it's the same. There is absolutely a thick rope (not a thread) that connects each of their albums. The sound is still distinct Opeth.

Is Ghost Reveries a masterpiece? I'd say Opeth is a masterpiece. Any band that can put out eight albums, and have their eighth album measure up against all others are true artists unto themselves. Some people like their newer stuff, some like their older stuff. Collectively it all evens out as a band that has stayed pretty constant throughout their career, changing only with artistic growth.

Well said MetalManCPA. Too right. One of the most important things about Opeth is that they are incredibely consistent. You look at some of the BIG metal bands of our time like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer for example. Have they been as consistent as this? They haven't to me. Metallica certainly hasn't, Iron Maiden lost it at one point but I think they returned to form with their last 2 albums. Slayer, whilst for me, they haven't lost their touch, I still don't think they have put anything out amazing since Seasons in the Abyss, but one might differ to that.

2 Other bands I look to that have 8 albums and for me, have been consistent are Enslaved and Neurosis. All their albums are good , some sensational, but not all 'masterpieces' so to speak, at least for me. But I put them in the same boat as Opeth because they also are consistent to me.

Put it this way, if you can still produce quality music after 7 successful albums, then you deserve more than just credit.

Ikil

Ikil said:
As much as we have discussed this over and over again. Opeth is still emotional for me, anyone who says that they aren't emotional anymore musn't have heard GR, cause that is a pretty amusing comment to make.

Ikil

Oh i have it, and i've been listening to it daily since i bought it. It's a good album. I just really don't find anything make me well up inside like past Opeth did. It's a FUN album, not an emotional one. it makes me bop around, it doesn't make me sit wide eyed, overwhelmed by what i am feeling. They are VERY distinctly different feelings, and Opeth just can't do the "emotional" one like they used to. There's moments of brilliance, no doubt (particularly the middle section of Harlequin Forest) and they sort of give me those feelings, but there is NOTHING at all even close in any way, shape, or form to "...AND I CRIIIEEEDDD", "just one second, and i was left with nothing", or "I don't know how or why, and i'll... never... know WHEEEENNNN" *cue most epic and awe inspiring riff ever*, all of which are from MAYH. Then there's nothing that moves me like "it will set ablaze, and vanish", "why can't you see that every tear i shed is for you?", and innumerable other moments on Orchid or Morningrise. They just AREN'T present. No matter how subjective you want to make this, those kinds of hugely epic and emotional parts just ARE NOT THERE. The new album is a fun, not serious album. For listening to any time. It's not introspective, it's just NOT got any of that kind of emotion. I don't know how else to explain it, but i know what i mean, and to those who can decipher this babble will absolutely agree. The feel of newer stuff, especially the new one, is just... not emotional...

I see where you are coming from, but I think the emotion on this album is 'different' to the emotion on the other albums. I mean, I hear the emotion in Hours of Wealth and in Isolation Years.

But I see what you mean, its more or less, the emotion on this album isn't the type of emotion you want. You want something that compares to When for example.

Ikil

yeah i have found that i have appreciatede every album they have made and then liked the new one and then gone back and liked an older one again, it happened to me with MAYH and now its happening again with SL

MetalManCPA said:
Individual taste. There are no two sets of ears alike. Each person takes something different out of music. Each artist knows this.

My ears tell me that Ghost Reveries is pure Opeth. It's totally different than their other albums, yet it's the same. There is absolutely a thick rope (not a thread) that connects each of their albums. The sound is still distinct Opeth.

Is Ghost Reveries a masterpiece? I'd say Opeth is a masterpiece. Any band that can put out eight albums, and have their eighth album measure up against all others are true artists unto themselves. Some people like their newer stuff, some like their older stuff. Collectively it all evens out as a band that has stayed pretty constant throughout their career, changing only with artistic growth.

You are 100% correct there sir.

Ikil said:
I see where you are coming from, but I think the emotion on this album is 'different' to the emotion on the other albums. I mean, I hear the emotion in Hours of Wealth and in Isolation Years.

But I see what you mean, its more or less, the emotion on this album isn't the type of emotion you want. You want something that compares to When for example.

Ikil

Yeah, maybe sayong no emotion is a bit extreme. The desolate, epic feel of older albums isn't there. It's replaced by what i feel is a much happier emotion. even HoW doesn't seem depressing to me. Another reason, though, that this isn't the type of emotion i want is... i can get this type of emotion in a LOT of places... i CAN'T get that bleak, epic, awe inspiring kind of emotion in a lot of places. The new album is good, i'm not particularly ragging on it, it's just... i feel opeth is cheaper thrills now because what they have to offer doesn't have as unique a feeling. It's a rare occasion to find something that gives me the feeling any of the first 3 albums do. It's almost not found anywhere else.