Ghost Reveries - Hollow?

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
A new Opeth CD is a big event for me, I usually buy them and listen to them a lot. But I noticed when I got Ghost Reveries, I didn't listen to it as much as say Deliverance or even Damnation.... It just seemed lifeless and dull despite having possibly the most changes of an Opeth song... I think the thing I loved about Opeth were the songs like on Deliverance and prior that Mike would probably label as having been written "under pressure".. I love Ghost Reveries but when I listen to it it just seems to end quicker than it should without leaving too much in my memory.. :cry: Parts like the clean vocal break with the ghost effects on it in MASTER'S APPRENTICES is something I remember and I love that part of the song.

...anyone feel the same way?

GR rulez!!! Isolation Years is one of my fevorit opeth song!

and ghost of pertidion is so powerfull!!!!

tagadagdgagdad taga ghost of perdition!!!!!!!!!!!! :]

Ghost of Perdition is a meh song. Baying is better. Harlequin is the highlight. Overall, the album IS in their worst 3 (dare i say 2?) albums.

I don't understand how anyone can HONESTLY state that Opeth's GR is a disappointing album.

Geez, it's just fantastic. It doesn't have to be your fave album ever or even in your top 10 of the year, but to flat-out say it sucks is just blasphemous (referring to the ones who think this way.) This album is so well put together.

Opeth fans who find GR dissapointing probably have no right saying they like any other Opeth album. Since its obviously a culmination of everything they've done, finer tuned, more thought out...and just better in all aspects. It is an improvement on the overall Opeth style from MAYH through GR. It is the best one yet.

that being said...I'd say if the album does have any weaknesses it'd be the solos, which I attribute to playing in an entirely tuning "open D" which is something no way in hell I would ever do. (standard tunings for me...my brain can't comprehend reading the fretboard any other way)

so give you favorite band the respect they deserve for giving YOU 100% effort on GR.

and if you can't..then move on and stop bitching on the forum.

I gotta admit, I didn't like GR as much as I thought I could've. I just can't get into it as much as I can with a lot of their other albums.

That said, it's not a bad album, and I DO like it. I just think Opeth has better.

Honestly , I love this album . It's basically got everything I love about music in it , as do their other excellent albums . Granted , GR has some differences from the earlier Opeth stuff , but to me it's different in a good way . I think they're moving in a new direction and I , for one , am all for it . I mean , who really wants to hear the same thing over & over again ? Trying new things is what makes a great band even greater - even if we don't necessarily like the results , at least they had balls enough to try something new . Well , I'm very close to rambling now so I'll leave it at that ! ROCK ON !!! :headbang:

Hollow? No, but I do agree with el_drip on the soloing. I don't think i could ever say i dislike an Opeth solo, but the ones on this album aren't as high up there for me as the ones on other albums. The freaking solos in when, the leper affinity, serenity painted death.. well pretty much anything off of still life and mayh, and even the solo in harvest i really like too. GR has failed to disappoint me yet in the 5 months i've owned, and I can't see its power waning anytime soon.

i agree that it seems to end way to soon, but for me that is because i enjoy it so much that i wish it wouldn't stop ...

btw: this thread inspired on the previous GR-bashthread? :p someone hoping for another response from Mikael? :p the similarities are a bit uncanny ... also mentioning the under pressure writing as better

i know exatly what your talking about. i love this album up and down. but
with blackwater park every time i listen to it i hear something new about the music that i love. but with ghost reveries it just felt like i knew the music thoroughly a little sooner than i was expecting. still an awesome album that manages to sneek into my cd player all the damn time though.

Oinkness said:
It just seemed lifeless and dull despite having possibly the most changes of an Opeth song?

The album is fantastic and you only display your OWN lack of musicality. It is a truly sofisticated record. You need to listen (more and) more closely. The err is on your part - not theirs!

And stop comparing GR with the other albums. That is just plain stupid! This is a new one - see, NEW music! Open your ears!

Oinkness said:
It just seemed lifeless and dull despite having possibly the most changes of an Opeth song... I love Ghost Reveries but when I listen to it it just seems to end quicker than it should without leaving too much in my memory.. :cry:
...anyone feel the same way?
Yep, I totally agree with you. I've been listening to GR for quite some time now, but it still isn't groing on me. The only songs which are flawless imo are Ghost of Perdition and Atonement.

This album took a while to grow on me, but now I can't stop fucking listening to it!