Here's an Idea

affinityband said:
Lets just be friends lol...internet feuds are pointless. But then again so are internet friends. Friends are better though
lol. k. deal. me and you are now officially best e-ultimateforum friends.

Here's what I think about this topic : Opeth would not be Opeth without a little mellowness . They'd just be a death metal band (albeit a fucking AWESOME death metal band) . Part of what drew me to them in the first place is the diversity of their music and all the emotions I feel when I hear it . It's like nothing else in the world - and I hope they never change it . And that's that ;)

It's typically the dynamic shift from mellow to heavy that makes Opeth sound as heavy as they do. Otherwise, they're not actually that heavy!

I used to do sound for film, and we used to laugh at movies like Armageddon that are loud all the time, because that's what the director thinks is exciting. Once you're cranked (or at a certain level of heaviness, for example), it's like Nigel Tufnel said, "Where can you go?" Maybe eleven, if you're not there already, I guess :Smug: But if you're maxed out 100% of the time, there's nowhere to go. So after a while, loud doesn't sound loud because you've habituated to it. Same with heaviness. After a while, none of it is that shockingly heavy anymore.

A good example of this is in Saving Private Ryan, when Tom Hanks goes deaf for a bit in the middle of the battle. When he gets his hearing back, you're like, "Holy shit, that's freakin' loud!" In reality, it's no louder than it was before the quiet part. To me, that's what Opeth is about. Contrast. It's also why I tire quickly of heavy-all-the-time DM.

SacredReich said:
No. What a silly idea. Why would you ask Opeth to be Bloodbath? Listen to DM if you want DM.
Yup. If you want Opeth to just go insane and go as heavy and aggressive as they possibly can just for the sake of being heavy and aggressive, then don't listen to Opeth. They aren't about blowing people's minds with insanely fast and brutal and unlistenable death metal shredding.

April Etheral said:
Oh how this thread descended into a flame war...
there should be a rule about this cos it happens waaaaay too much on this forum, where is Moonlapse when you need him?!

dude, Opeth can change whilst still being Opeth, if they got rid of all the things that makes them Opeth now, they wouldn't be Opeth
They can only change so much each album otherwise their fans won't adapt to their new styles quick enough
I think drastic changes is what Opeth is all about though.....I think your hardcore Opeth fan will accept whatever comes their way. A pure death metal album will be sucked up by the regular opeth fan by the album's 3rd or 4th listen through....I didn't like Ghost Reveries that much the first couple of listen thru's, now I think it's awesome

lol at thinking opeth will become a 'pure' death metal band

its much more likely that they become a pure prog band
the most likely is obviously that they will continue the way they are

a rofl nazi said:
lol at thinking opeth will become a 'pure' death metal band

its much more likely that they become a pure prog band
the most likely is obviously that they will continue the way they are
And preferable. I'd rather have their future albums be in the vein of GR than have them turn death metal.