Here's an Idea

affinityband said:
Dont you feel they do the whole acoustic passage thing just because its the 'Opeth' thing to do?

NO, they have been doing that since Orchid (before they had fans to please).

I think they just do what they want to do. Opeth makes music as art. They are not a band to sacrifice their art to make money imo.

And to Helitropic Rose: Damnation is my least favorite Opeth album. That is where my opinion is coming from.

affinityband said:
are you telling me that those 2 songs dont have clean, acoustic passages? and wreath has clean vocals.

Are you fucking stupid? Wreath does not have clean vocals.

I think it is all about the feel of the album. Opeth have been a band, utterly brave and gutsy enough to come out with music, truly artful. And I feel they have been doing that since Orchid, all the way upto Ghost Reveries. The kind of background they set to a listener from their music with their lyrics just falls into place. I wouldn't mind, if Opeth make a total death metal album, or a total clean album. As long as they make it artful enough through their talent and thoughts, it will serve the purpose of us being true fans to them.

Oh how this thread descended into a flame war...
there should be a rule about this cos it happens waaaaay too much on this forum, where is Moonlapse when you need him?!

Heliotropic_Rose said:
oh and here I thought Opeth was all about changing shit up and surprising there fans....guess I was wrong.

dude, Opeth can change whilst still being Opeth, if they got rid of all the things that makes them Opeth now, they wouldn't be Opeth
They can only change so much each album otherwise their fans won't adapt to their new styles quick enough

blimey said:
Wreath does not have them. PwNeD.

grrr... I thought you would have had better sense than to respond without doing research.

9:00 till the end alternates betwixt growling and clean vocals.

Edit - Are you too busy bashing people on these forums to acctually listen to the music?

We were having a good exchange of opinions until this.

Braighs said:
grrr... I thought you would have had better sense than to respond without doing research.

9:00 till the end alternates betwixt growling and clean vocals.

Edit - Are you too busy bashing people on these forums to acctually listen to the music?

We were having a good exchange of opinions until this.

Dude, its echoed background music. That shit doesnt count. And its for about 20 seconds.

Its not echoed from anything.
Its not in the foreground, but you can clearly make out the lyrics.
Its for 1:30

I'm just saying you shouldn't have called that guy "fucking stupid."
Misplaced criticism makes me angry.
Why am I still awake...and posting here? G'nite

Braighs said:
Its not echoed from anything.
Its not in the foreground, but you can clearly make out the lyrics.
Its for 1:30

I'm just saying you shouldn't have called that guy "fucking stupid."
Misplaced criticism makes me angry.
Why am I still awake...and posting here? G'nite
WTV I'm not here to analyze Wreath. All I know is that the original guy said that even Wreath wasn't a purely-heavy Opeth song. He's retarded. Ok?

G'night :D

I despise people like you, Blimey. So utterly fucking mean and stupid. Cruelty is bad enough, but when coupled with stupidity, that is just the fucking WORST.

WTV I'm not here to analyze Wreath. All I know is that the original guy said that even Wreath wasn't a purely-heavy Opeth song. He's retarded. Ok?

G'night

For a start, wreath has clean passages and clean vocals. I suggest before you start poorly attempting to using your weak insults you read what i said first. It seems you have not much of a valued personality and result to trying to put across your meager insults to make yourself feel better. I did not say that wreath was not heavy i merely stated that it had clean vocals and clean passages, these of which are some of the most beautiful sounding parts in the song. So mr blimey i suggest you think before you do. And if you dont buy this whole reasonable argument.... your a cunt anyway.

April Etheral said:
Oh how this thread descended into a flame war...
there should be a rule about this cos it happens waaaaay too much on this forum, where is Moonlapse when you need him?!

dude, Opeth can change whilst still being Opeth, if they got rid of all the things that makes them Opeth now, they wouldn't be Opeth
They can only change so much each album otherwise their fans won't adapt to their new styles quick enough
I don't agree, I think that's part of what being Opeth is about, drastic changes, routes fans wouldn't expect....it's not like i'm saying no OPeth album should ever be like there other one's.......I just started this thread for suggestion of doing those two album styles in the near future......like around albums 9 and 10 or something..... and really I think since all of OPeth's albums are quite different, then your average Opeth fan would adapt quite rapidly. :headbang:

affinityband said:
For a start, wreath has clean passages and clean vocals. I suggest before you start poorly attempting to using your weak insults you read what i said first. It seems you have not much of a valued personality and result to trying to put across your meager insults to make yourself feel better. I did not say that wreath was not heavy i merely stated that it had clean vocals and clean passages, these of which are some of the most beautiful sounding parts in the song. So mr blimey i suggest you think before you do. And if you dont buy this whole reasonable argument.... your a cunt anyway.

I hate you all!

Sadpoet said:
I despise people like you, Blimey. So utterly fucking mean and stupid. Cruelty is bad enough, but when coupled with stupidity, that is just the fucking WORST.
I'm betting that I'm more intelligent than you. But rest assured, I'm positive that your basis of the fact that intelligence is reflected on posts on ultimatemetal.com is justified.

affinityband said:
I'm betting your teeth are yellow and your skin looks like white chalk!