Heavy Songs Without Growling?

Metamyr

Feb 7, 2006
Minnesota, USA
www.clanmyr.com
I've gotten REALLY into opeth the past few months, and I absolutely love every album BWP on. I have a lot of friends that sorta like em, but can't get into the growling. I know opeth has quite a few soft songs with just clean vocals (all of damnation), but do they have any heavy songs with just clean vocals?:Smokin:

the only songs that have heavy sections and all clean vocals are: Face of Melinda which is all soft except the end, and A Fair Judgment, which is also on the lighter side compared to their usual heavy songs, but has a very heavy ending

their album with the least growling (besides Damnation) is probably Ghost Reveries

tell your friends to open their minds a little more, not worry about "heavy" and "soft" because if they have any actual interest in music whatsoever they'll eventually learn to appreciate both, buy Ghost Reveries, and pay attention to the music, the clean singing, and the growling

being interested in music is the big thing, if they're listening to Fall Out Boy and the latest Lil John collaboration, don't even pursue your objective

if they're listening to anything even remotely underground, then go for it, because that's a sign of potentially enough interest in music outside of MTV and radio stations that they may actually "get" it

House of Seance said:
the only songs that have heavy sections and all clean vocals are: Face of Melinda which is all soft except the end, and A Fair Judgment, which is also on the lighter side compared to their usual heavy songs, but has a very heavy ending

their album with the least growling (besides Damnation) is probably Ghost Reveries

tell your friends to open their minds a little more, not worry about "heavy" and "soft" because if they have any actual interest in music whatsoever they'll eventually learn to appreciate both, buy Ghost Reveries, and pay attention to the music, the clean singing, and the growling

being interested in music is the big thing, if they're listening to Fall Out Boy and the latest Lil John collaboration, don't even pursue your objective

if they're listening to anything even remotely underground, then go for it, because that's a sign of potentially enough interest in music outside of MTV and radio stations that they may actually "get" it

They're big into a lot of mainstream bands like Tool and Flaw, but i've gotten them into a few opeth songs (and that song on RR United). I've also gotten em into Katatonia. I dunno why they don't like the growling :( I think it just adds so much power, and in some cases anger to the songs.

FUBAR said:
Into the Frost of Winter

lolz

while it doesnt have all clean vocal reverie/harlequin forest would be a good choice of a heavy song or maybe white cluster...as both are heavier than the two aforementioned songs...and have very little in terms of growls.

Well... You could try Katatonia. Their newest album sounds quite like opeth, and contains no growling.

So, go for them.

Tell them to get the sand out of their vaginas and listen to some REAL music...

:D

j/k

Try out some Iced Earth on them (pre-Glorious Burdon) and I bet after listening to that for a while, you would get them to get more and more into growling vocals and the like. Dark Tranquility was the first "growly" band I got into and now I would consider them very light in terms of harsh vocals. Try and start them out on some DT too. Character is a GREAT album.

Metamyr said:
They're big into a lot of mainstream bands like Tool and Flaw, but i've gotten them into a few opeth songs (and that song on RR United). I've also gotten em into Katatonia. I dunno why they don't like the growling :( I think it just adds so much power, and in some cases anger to the songs.

Sorry, but Opeth is no Flaw - they are not a mainstream band, and you don't find the easy mainstream appealing songs as such. Lend them an album, and see if it takes (BWP is always a good place to start). Individual songs like you are doing will just give them a false impression of the band, and with a band as genuinely good as Opeth, i think it's pretty sad that you'd want to do that.

heavy songs with clean vocals, and clean songs with growls is a venue Opeth hasnt really explored much before. although i think they should, could be interesting and something a little different obviously.

I was talking to some douche on soulseek and he said that Opeth could be a really great prog metal band, as good as pain of salvation even, if they only dropped the growls