Heavy Songs Without Growling?

affinityband said:
Try some Dream Theatre .

I myself have had some trouble getting into Dream Theater. The music is awesome, but I'd take Mikael's voice of James LaBrie's any day. I have gotten my friends into James' solo album tho. Just outa curiosity... what dream theater album would you guys consider most "like" opeth?

Disasters apprentices said:
Well... You could try Katatonia. Their newest album sounds quite like opeth, and contains no growling.

So, go for them.

I've gotten them into Katatonia, especially the new album. I do agree that they don't sound much like opeth (Jonas' has a good voice, but not quite as good as mikael's, and the guitar isn't nearly as complex)

Dalkaen said:
It took me a long time to get used to the growling, as well. I'm not sure why, because now I love it. I think they're absolutely brilliant, and Mikael is one of the best growlers I've heard. Not only that, he's a great melodic vocalist as well. Great stuff.

I'm the same way. It was actually In Flames that got me into growly music (though i guess they're more screamy than growly...) Now I love the growls in opeth, and i'll take Mikael's clean vocals over those of ANY other band.

Smoof said:
Try and start them out on some DT too. Character is a GREAT album.
Character Rocks!

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Sorry, but Opeth is no Flaw - they are not a mainstream band, and you don't find the easy mainstream appealing songs as such. Lend them an album, and see if it takes (BWP is always a good place to start). Individual songs like you are doing will just give them a false impression of the band, and with a band as genuinely good as Opeth, i think it's pretty sad that you'd want to do that.
I do agree that musically Opeth is VERY different from Flaw, however they do have some similarities. They both have very sad lyrics in a lot of their songs, as well as some fairly abstract songs. I really like the singer of Flaw as well. Anyways, the main reason I'm trying to get them into some songs without growling is because I was hoping that might gateway into some growlier songs, but we'll see :p I am in no way trying to give them a false impression of Opeth, I've shown them growly songs too (nothing pre-BWP tho) and they never really took.

NineFeetUnderground said:
heavy songs with clean vocals, and clean songs with growls is a venue Opeth hasnt really explored much before. although i think they should, could be interesting and something a little different obviously.
Agreed, it would be awesome if opeth released an album like damnation, but heavier. Though i'm sure a lot of fans would instantly acuse them of "selling out" if they did.

people already accused Opeth of selling out for doing damnation. and then for doing ghost reveries. at this point, Opeth has nothing to lose, just a lot to gain. any fan who thinks Opeth has been in any sort of "underground" position to "sell out"...probably should bugger off anyway.

Ganza said:
GOD no it isn't.

It's probably their worst album to date...so fucking repetative it makes me sick; every song starts and ends the same.

Damage Done pwns Character.

EDIT: imo.

dark snore-illity really isnt that amazing on ANY album in my eyes. in the past they were decent for melodic death metal. and in the present theyre decent for melodic death metal, but theyre just as predictable as any in flames material, but they have a pretention that theyre above that which i find pretty humorous.

Opeth probably got accused of selling out when they released Morningrise too, it's a new favorite past time apparently

sigh-final.jpg

Ganza said:
I will agree they're nothing really special, but In Flames are, and I find your pretention hilarious, mr "I have loads of negative comments to say for every single band in the world and try to convince the world my taste in music is better than everyone else's".

thanks for that completely inaccurate description. the truth of the matter is i have tons of great things to say about hundreds of bands. but most the people here like bullshit music, so its hard to make lemonade when everyone is giving me rotten potatos. and besides, i dont try to convince anyone of anything, but the fact of the matter is i AM convincing...thus everyones dislike for my "opinions" and their obviously "my shit doesnt stink" opinions they constantly spew out. get over it.

Ganza said:
Whatever man.

Just think you might have to get over yourself first.

oh im sorry. ARE YOU A FUCKING PSYCHIATRIST?! did i ask you for your opinion on how i should behave? or how i should think? theres too many of you symphony X loving tree huggers around here, im not about to even entertain the idea of becoming one because i make you cry about the garbage you people listen to all the time. please.

Ganza said:
Whatever man.

Just think you might have to get over yourself first.

if someone came on the Opeth board praising how awesome the new Backstreet Boys album was, every board member here would take it upon themselves to make sure they let that guy know how shitty the Backstreet Boys are and how gay the poster himself is and would question if he was even serious... I don't see much of a difference

House of Seance said:
if someone came on the Opeth board praising how awesome the new Backstreet Boys album was, every board member here would take it upon themselves to make sure they let that guy know how shitty the Backstreet Boys are and how gay the poster himself is and would question if he was even serious... I don't see much of a difference

ironically, dream theater has the same amount of merits as the backstreet boys. just in a different light.

people just dont want to hear that what they like isnt good...and worse yet, that there is something WRONG with THEM because of what they listen to. its a tough blow to take for most. i never said it was easy or should go over well. im not here trying to say i know everything about rocket science. or advanced chemistry. or even that i have a strong grip on the english language. i talk about music. i know about music. im sticking to my guns, and not going to back down anytime soon.

but i urge people to tell me what i like is shit. please do. please tell me why as well, id love some actual heated music discussion, instead of people just resorting to personality traits than what im actually talking about in the first place. some of you must think i have shit taste in music. dont you? :p

NineFeetUnderground said:
ironically, dream theater has the same amount of merits as the backstreet boys. just in a different light.

people just dont want to hear that what they like isnt good...and worse yet, that there is something WRONG with THEM because of what they listen to. its a tough blow to take for most. i never said it was easy or should go over well. im not here trying to say i know everything about rocket science. or advanced chemistry. or even that i have a strong grip on the english language. i talk about music. i know about music. im sticking to my guns, and not going to back down anytime soon.

but i urge people to tell me what i like is shit. please do. please tell me why as well, id love some actual heated music discussion, instead of people just resorting to personality traits than what im actually talking about in the first place. some of you must think i have shit taste in music. dont you? :p

the only thing I'd have to point out is that the mutation/maturing/etc. of 'taste' takes time, though that's obvious, I mean you can't wave a magic wand and *boom* everyone no longer likes band _______... but from what I recall you've always helped those seeking help and the more open-minded when it comes to pretty much any genre

I think when 2 people are talking positively about a band and you come in from the side lines and slam them it can seem harsh sometimes, but nothing that can't be digested with a grain of salt... people should just go "hah yeah well, I like em", and leave it at that, and maybe one day they'll agree with you, maybe they never will, doesn't really fucking matter one bit either way and that's the point, people should stop dwelling it