Heavy Songs Without Growling?

illidurit said:
lol I have better taste than 99% of UM but I'm a moron because I hate a boring unmusical band

assuming tastes are completely relative, how can you compare yours with anyone else's taste ? (btw I don't say that to defend sunn 00 ))) thing, I don't know them hehe)

Endar said:
assuming tastes are completely relative, how can you compare yours with anyone else's taste ? (btw I don't say that to defend sunn 00 ))) thing, I don't know them hehe)

so someone coming up to you saying Opeth is horrible, and Sum 41 are the best band ever, or at least better than your beloved Opeth....wouldnt bother you at all?

obviously this is an extreme example...but your question of this seems to be questioning the entire thought of taste in the first place...so i thought it was a valid point to make.

edit: theres critics for every form of art and expression. there are critics for a reason. and there are different levels of creativity...both produced and perceived...for a reason. a 3 year old finger painting isnt of the same quality that a vincent van gogh painting is. argue this all youd like, but it should be pretty obvious. not everyone's brain is wired to appreciate everything the same way either, or on the same level. and i also feel some people have a better understanding for things than others. im not saying im the most qualified...but theres people who can read a fairly easy poem 300 times and never make heads or tails of what its saying. the same can go for music, art, film, literature, etc. some artists are more capable of impressive work than others, and some listeners are more capable of appreciating or at least understanding certain output than others are.

NineFeetUnderground said:
so someone coming up to you saying Opeth is horrible, and Sum 41 are the best band ever, or at least better than your beloved Opeth....wouldnt bother you at all?

obviously this is an extreme example...but your question of this seems to be questioning the entire thought of taste in the first place...so i thought it was a valid point to make.

edit: theres critics for every form of art and expression. there are critics for a reason. and there are different levels of creativity...both produced and perceived...for a reason. a 3 year old finger painting isnt of the same quality that a vincent van gogh painting is. argue this all youd like, but it should be pretty obvious. not everyone's brain is wired to appreciate everything the same way either, or on the same level. and i also feel some people have a better understanding for things than others. im not saying im the most qualified...but theres people who can read a fairly easy poem 300 times and never make heads or tails of what its saying. the same can go for music, art, film, literature, etc. some artists are more capable of impressive work than others, and some listeners are more capable of appreciating or at least understanding certain output than others are.

yeah, I assume there exists some different levels of experience for making music, for example, but you know, personal tastes are not something you should be controling, telling to yourself : you like that because it is cool and you don't like that because the ones making this music are non-talented. We can't really blame people for what they are, and as taste is something personal we shouldn't blame it too. And uuuh ... I don't like sum 41 you know, for me it is like hearing shit falling in a toilet with a lot of echo, but I understand that for some other people that aren't on the same wavelenght than me, it can sound as Opeth sounds for me, so I don't pretend anything like "I've got the absolute taste so I own you all". I think that instead of saying "This band is shit" we should say more things like "I hear this band as shit" :lol: and by the way, the guy saying to me sum 41 is better than opeth wouldnt really bother me. I would just say : wow, I'm sorry but I can't understand your language (with a little smile). I totally agree with you for the fact that in every kind of art, there are some higher levels of complexity and depth of thoughts, but for some people simplicity is just more enjoyable (which isn't the case for me :loco:).

in a perfect world. everyone should stop killing eachother. and stop smoking. and stop ruining the o-zone layer. and yada yada yada. but its probably not going to happen. who are you preaching to? theres bigger fish to fry if you want to start singing michael jackson ballads with children of every race circled around you here.

in a perfect world. everyone should stop killing eachother. and stop smoking. and stop ruining the o-zone layer. and yada yada yada. but its probably not going to happen. who are you preaching to? theres bigger fish to fry if you want to start singing michael jackson ballads with children of every race circled around you here.

hahahahahaha

hey man, I am not trying to make you all sign or to start myself a sect, I'm just explaining how I see the "taste" concept :p.

Endar said:
hahahahahaha

hey man, I am not trying to make you all sign or to start myself a sect, I'm just explaining how I see the "taste" concept :p.

talent isnt everything, i think you assume that i think all good art requires assloads of talent. it takes vision and passion, as much as it takes talent in my eyes. but if often takes some talent to turn that vision and passion into something tangible and credible.

dark snore-illity really isnt that amazing on ANY album in my eyes. in the past they were decent for melodic death metal. and in the present theyre decent for melodic death metal, but theyre just as predictable as any in flames material, but they have a pretention that theyre above that which i find pretty humorous.
You seem to have a pretension that you are above any genre defining bands. I think you might have pissed off any melodic death metallers by that post :) . Also Dark Tranquillity are completely different than In Flames, who until R2R were at the top of the pile for death metal. Try listening to some Colony or some Subterranean even and tell me about predictability.

lol @ Dark Snore-illity, what a bad joke.

ps. My sig pwns yours

yeah it's true, I just didn't bother to name all the ingredients for improving art. I think I just spend the last bit of energy I got by writing this line, I think I'd really need some sleep hehe. By the way it takes imagination too, what is a talented musician without the imagination required to compose songs ? I'd answer myself something like : a musician in a pop band. (assuming that band is following the #1 pop rule : sound exaclty as all other pop bands) :p

metal_wrath said:
You seem to have a pretension that you are above any genre defining bands. I think you might have pissed off any melodic death metallers by that statement:) :) . Also Dark Tranquillity are completely different than In Flames, who until R2R were at the top of the pile for death metal. Try listening to some Colony or some Subterranean even and tell me about predictability.

lol @ Dark Snore-illity, what a bad joke.

ps. My sig pwns yours

thats funny. because i was listening to those albums when you were in diapers. subteranean is a natural progression from lunar strain and what was happening in the gothenburg scene at the time. and colony was the natural progression of whoracle and what was going on in the scene at the time. so i dont see how those albums (although decent) are blowing your mind with creativity. when did i say i was above genre defining bands anyway? i dont even know wtf youre talking about with that.

oh im sorry. ARE YOU A FUCKING PSYCHIATRIST?! did i ask you for your opinion on how i should behave? or how i should think? theres too many of you symphony X loving tree huggers around here, im not about to even entertain the idea of becoming one because i make you cry about the garbage you people listen to all the time. please.

Hah, you amuse me, little man. I don't listen to Symphony X, nor do I hug trees like you and your friends might like to spend your time in between jerking eachother off.

I'm just saying that even if the music is shit, you're always the first one there to throw in your negative word.