My Opeth story and how I became a fan.

Welcome to all of you new listeners of Opeth. You'll start to find out that most of your cd collection will start to collect a lot of dust in the coming years.

I highly recommend that you check out Pain of Salvation if you haven't already so they can give you a break from Opeth! LOL

The growls do keep most of my friends away from some fantastic music. Too bad for them!

If you are implying that pain of salvation is fantastic...then too bad for YOU.

If you are implying your taste has any relevance----- TOO BAD FOR YOUU!!11

Pain of Salvation is a fantastic band. Gildenlöw is the only musician that's better than Akerfeldt. He's also a better lyricist.

Sure, the rest of PoS stands no chance against the rest of Opeth, but PoS is only Gildenlöw anyway.

Risquit said:
Having said that, many bands misuse the style just to sound hard (i.e. Mortician, Cannibal Corpse) and without any other thought towards the effectiveness of the songs.
I disagree. Cannibal Corpse is a brutal death metal band. They arent trying to be emotional or moving. They arent trying to "sound hard". DevilDriver on the other hand...

ShroudOfDusk said:
I disagree. Cannibal Corpse is a brutal death metal band. They arent trying to be emotional or moving. They arent trying to "sound hard". DevilDriver on the other hand...
CC would be worse without death vox.

I am veiwer number 666 on this thread:headbang: .

This board has basically lost virtually any pazaaz it ever held. Opeth should just close this forum and spare their fans the stupidity.

If you don't like the death vocals then don't fucking listen to the music. Go burn all the clean songs on a cd-r, Buy damnation and leave your opeth listening experience at that. Some Kind of Monster please go back to metboard.com where you came from. As far as all this metallica criticism goes. What is everyone's fucking problem with this band. They're 40 fucking years old, have wives and kids, and are millionaires. They've become a rock band. They're out of touch with the scene they pioneered. Just leave them be already. I think they deserve some slack, afterall they created And Justice for All...\m/

AllWithinMyMonster said:
Lol Shroud...You know there's only room for one Metallica Fanboy on UM. He's trying to steal my heat :)
I think that the 'heat' is off. All things considered, I rekon you're pretty ballsy sticking around for this long. Shows that you know what you like, regardless of what people say.

I have all the albums and I do still love them!
Some of it still has to grow on me....
Mainly the older stuff. Alot of it sounds the same too..same riffs and styles and patterns.
And the growling? I just can't understand a word he is saying,unless I follow in the booklet first...lol
But I can understand where it's coming from and adds to the song...make it sound "evil" as they like to think it is...lol
Plus you also have to know, besides this, I was never a death, black metal fan. I don't know any other bands other than Opeth.

But yeah, I like Still Life for sure, things like that.
I like Pink Floyd, I like Progressive Rock, I like standard Metal, and I like musical talent, so I like Opeth!

Any Type O Negative fans here? lol
Love them too....

Hey, first time poster, long time listener....

I cant really say im surprised that people will question the Growls, but i just think that that is a lack of understanding on the part of the listener. If Damnation proved anything it is that the depth of Opeth goes part-and-parcel with the emotion of the death vocals. Damnation was a good album, some very fine tunes....but...its nowhere near as satisfying as such masterpieces as Master's Apprentices, Godhead's Lament, April Ethereal, Dirge For November etc....

It takes time and even effort to learn to appreciate the heavier aspects of these songs, but an appreciation you will gain. The clean vocals gain from the heavy, and vice versa. Heck, SHOULD the song material of many Opeth albums be done in warm 'n' happy nice vocals, when it does not match either the music or the meaning of the songs? I dont think so...Damnation ended up having a much more depressing, melancholic tone to it than Deliverance did, yet the approach to the music suits those who dont like Death growls.

Opeth's death growls have evolved, yet have always suited the music. Some bands do not use what is a very skilled form of singing properly, but i feel that Akerfeldt nearly always has. I dont think you can ask Opeth to change their music styles, because they always have anyway, and it just works. Keep up the anger if thats what suits boys! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, i feel much better now...

AllWithinMyMonster said:
Some Kind of Monster please go back to metboard.com where you came from.

that's sad. i thought i could be accepted among the Opeth-loving community..
this is what i get for joining in here with a Metallica related username :loco:

thanks for the warm welcome o_O

ziggy...
i too like o-neg--get their nosferatu--it's cool...
now, i am also going to guess that u like bowie.
and i too am a metallica fan.
so shoot me.
anyway, are used to the growlies yet?
oh, and there are lots of songs in which i have no clue what the lyrics are.