new Opeth fan

midevil elf

Dec 15, 2004
I just recently discovered the greatness of Opeth. My roommate burnt me blackwater park and I love it. Then I downloaded a few songs off Damnation because the mellower side of them as beautiful. Any reccomendations on what to check out next?

if you _really_ like them then you could go chronologically in the discography starting at the first album.. it's interesting to see how they evolved.

I got Morningrise first ... I loved it because i had heard most of the songs on powertab anyway. If you're really warey about purchasing their albums get powertab (www.power-tab.net) and then once you've got that download some of their tabs (http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?page=artist,566). Powertab may have an annoying sound, but it's introduced me to a lot of the bands i like today - If they're good on powertab.. they're going to be great on record.

Try Deliverance, I'd say it's the album most like Blackwater Park. And has my favourite song ever on it... A Fair Judgement.

Like most extreme metal bands, the first two records are an interesting beginning to what would become an incredible journey of musical accomplishments. Orchid and Morningrise are two of a kind, with their storytelling, musically and lyrically. They were one of the few (Emperor also comes to mind) that proved there was more to Black Metal than just a silly facade. My Arms is the first turning point, being a mammoth of a progressive death metal record, and a full twisted story accompanying. All moves are quite natural from there as the lineup became a stand still. Still Life is one of the darkest and greatest stories I have ever heard in a record, and with a major label Blackwater and Deliverance/Damnation help establish Opeth in to entire music universe as their own individual entity. Ghost Reveries is the culmination of Opeth's musical endeavors, with the story and lyrics of the old Black Metal influence, mixed with the progressive songwriting of the more modern records. In a nutshell, NO ONE compares to Opeth and every album should be worshipped just as equally. All Hail :) .

Morningrise's production is the main problem i have with it. Songwriting wise i prefer it to orchid.. but production wise orchid beats morningrise.

Still Life
My Arms You Hearse
Ghost Reveries

Check them out.

opeth_353 said:
Morningrise's production is the main problem i have with it. Songwriting wise i prefer it to orchid.. but production wise orchid beats morningrise.

Still Life
My Arms You Hearse
Ghost Reveries

Check them out.

Really? I agree that the songwriting is better in Mornigrise, but I also think the production is better, but hey opinions is opinions.

If you like Blackwater Park then Still Life will seem the most similar, so is probably a good buy. Then as people are saying go chronilogically through the albums and it realy will seem like a musical journey. That's what Opeth is aboot - musical journeys. Each song is one, and then the album is also one in turn, then their career is also one. This is what makes 'em so great, and unlike any other band. Enjoy!

alot of poeple have said get morningrise or orchid or MAYH but you sound like you've got the taste i had when i got into opeth and still do. I prefer still life and deliverance to the others (SL, D, and BWP are 3 of my fav albums ever). Ghost revferies is also prety cool but get STILL LIFE. it is so fucking good.

The first Opeth album I got was Blackwater Park. After that I got Damnation, then a month or two later I got Deliverance. After that it was Orchid, My Arms Your Hearse, Morningrise, and then Ghost Reveries. I have yet to get Still Life :erk:

I got Still Life first, then Damnation, then BWP and MYAH at the same time, then Orchid, then Lamentations, then Deliverance, then Morningrise. That made an interesting exploration into Opeth. I like Still Life the best, although it took me the longest to get into. MYAH and Deliverance are solid choices after BWP, and hearing BWP and MYAH will get you into Still Life much easier, as it, well, is incredible but much more dense in terms of layers, etc. and it is a more challenging listen I think than all of their albums except the first two.