I am new to Opeth

You're going to get a whole variety of responses here, but based solely on the three you mentioned you knew, I would say Hessian Peel, The Lotus Eater and Ghost Of Perdition (the song that initially got me into Opeth).

I think it's a lot easier to adjust to Opeth if you start with their newer material (Still Life and forward), because the production is cleaner, and you can have a better grasp as to how they sound now.

I don't think it matters which album or which songs you start out with actually. I think that if you're interested enough, you'll give all of their albums a try, and somewhere along the way you'll be hooked, because that's just the way it is with Opeth :) So my advise is: take your time and listen to a bit of all of their stuff. And really listen to the music. Soon you'll realise just how lucky you are to have found this band (if you haven't already:))

Quickly, and this late thinking...

non order;

Godhead's lament
Ghost of Perdition
Deliverance
Reverie/Harlequin forest
all others

Well but I suggest checking out The moor and The drapery falls.

After developing my tastes for Opeth a bit, my top ten playlist is currently

Beneath the Mire
Harlequin Forest
The Funeral Portrait
The Baying of the Hounds
Ghost of Perdition
Deliverance
The Moor
Heir Apparent
Wreath
The Grand Conjuration

Most of Opeth has taken some time for me to enjoy (for some crazy reason, for example, I was like "meh @ Deliverance" till I listened to the whole thing 10 times and realized it was the shit) - some of the very few I remember liking right away are

The Leper Affinity (first one I heard)
Blackwater Park
Demon of the Fall
The Moor
Face of Melinda
A Fair Judgment
The Night and the Silent Water
Under the Weeping Moon
Heir Apparent
Porcelain Heart

I was coming out of Tool and Metallica fan-dom so A Fair Judgment's metal ballad kinda sound and Under the Weeping Moon's intro (its intro essentially follows the same general structure as Battery's no matter how different the songs are) and interlude (random scratching sounds reminiscent of Merkaba or something) appealed to me personally...

Funny, Beneath the Mire was my least favorite and Porcelain Heart was among my top 5 in my first couple of weeks of Opeth, now they've switched places.

Warning: They become extremely addictive.

So true, I love a lot of other music but I find my Opeth play counts getting out of control nevertheless.

Lately I've been falling asleep to music at night, and I think it's a pretty serious sign of addiction that last week I managed to fall asleep to Deliverance twice..

So true, I love a lot of other music but I find my Opeth play counts getting out of control nevertheless.

Lately I've been falling asleep to music at night, and I think it's a pretty serious sign of addiction that last week I managed to fall asleep to Deliverance twice..

That's really an achievement! And yes, probably a sign of addiction as well :)

I don't think it matters which album or which songs you start out with actually. I think that if you're interested enough, you'll give all of their albums a try, and somewhere along the way you'll be hooked, because that's just the way it is with Opeth :) So my advise is: take your time and listen to a bit of all of their stuff. And really listen to the music. Soon you'll realise just how lucky you are to have found this band (if you haven't already:))

+1

And to all new Opeth fans, this is seriously no joke. My favorite songs are changing nearly every week.

As you can tell, there is no agreement between Opeth fans as to best song and practically all fans would agree that Opeth albums are meant to be listened to from beginning to end, at least when you first start listening to them. Once you start listening, you'll see why.
Warning: They become extremely addictive.
:D

+1,000,000 :kickass: you're damn right i agree