Relatively A New Opeth Fan

eric18966

New Metal Member
Jun 5, 2008
I first discovered Opeth back when Damnation was released. Even though I am not a "Death Metal" fan, I will say that some of the more aggressive stuff is slowly growing on me.

That being said, I don't think any current band out there can touch them when it comes to the more melodic, softer songs. They are amazing! Mikael's voice has that soothing tone that just adds to the beautiful music they create.

I missed them the last few times through the USA, but am considering going to see them the next time around. As I said, the aggressive side of the band is a bit tough for me, as I grew up listening to metal but never really went harder than early early Metallica. I do enjoy when their songs segue from aggressive to softer and vice versa. It just adds an interesting element. I struggle a bit with the "growling" vocals.

Anyone care to share what the live shows are like?

Do they improvise their solos or more or less stick to how the song structure was released on the album?

SOLD!

I'm going to make plans to see them when they come overseas. My understanding is it's a pretty good mix of songs...a little aggressive a little melodic.

I've been noticing that Mike is improvising more with the vocals lately than when I've seen them in the past. He seems more confident, which he should be. He's got a great voice and excellent musical instincts.

Ha I'll get flamed for this. I saw them in 06 and it was absolutely magnificent! So afterwards I couldn't wait to see Opeth again, so much that I had a dream that I was at an Opeth concert (a small outdoor gig, weird) and for some reason Mike told the crowd he was 'over it' and simply walked off stage. Later on he was just mucking around with an acoustic nylon guitar with a small group huddled around him, but he wasn't playing anything good. Man was such a bummer of a dream, thank goodness for the Sydney gig in September.

opeth live is a great experience. It feels like you KNOW the band afterwords. A good COOL layed back vibe, that happens to play a lot of death metal