new fan of opeth

Anybody here into Alice In Chains?? One of my fave bands. I like the grunge era... Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc etc.

Right now I'm listening to alot of Tool and APC.

Oh yeah. I don't know why I forgot, but anyone, and I mean anyone, who considers themselves a fan of metal, NEEDS to have aquainted themselves with Judas Priest. I'm listening to Painkiller right now, and once again, EVERY FUCKING MOMENT is brilliant. I could die happy right now.

And if your in a really cheezy mood - check out Ayreon "Human Equation". Mikael Åkerfeldt sings on that CD also. It's a an epic prog rock thing, but its really good.

I also recommned:
- Weakling
- Godspeed You Black Emperor
- The Haunted
- Porcupine Tree
- Ozric Tentacles

sweet majestic darkness said:
I don't believe I ahve any Judas Priest cd's. I have been going backward with my music lately, checking out more earlier bands. I will definately keep that in mind through my venture
smile.gif
Sounds good! :headbang:

RjBeals said:
I also recommned:
- Weakling
- Godspeed You Black Emperor
- The Haunted
- Porcupine Tree
- Ozric Tentacles
Heh... you realize how strange this list is, don't you? Especialy with Weakling topping it off... one of the most obscure and avant-garde-ish black metal bands.

By the way, I just recieved my copy of Dead as Dreams yesterday from ebay. Apparently the place where you bought yours no longer stocks them... they're gunna get expensive now... ;)

RavenousDaemon said:
Please do?
I'll have to take you up on your offer another time.

Decadent said:
Heh... you realize how strange this list is, don't you? Especialy with Weakling topping it off... one of the most obscure and avant-garde-ish black metal bands.

By the way, I just recieved my copy of Dead as Dreams yesterday from ebay. Apparently the place where you bought yours no longer stocks them... they're gunna get expensive now... ;)

1) I know how strange that seems. I think that most Opeth fans will get it though. We don't follow the normal rules. ;)

2) I received an email from aquariusrecords.org and they told me, "...considering we have about 600 of em here. 13.98!!" and that was on Aug 12. I'm sure they are still selling them. Just send an email to mailorder@aquariusrecords.org to request one.

Eh... bugger, I must've fucked up on the websites. I'll inform my mates who still want one.

And I don't think that just because someone is an Opeth fan that they're going to 'get' Weakling. It's too outlandish... most people like Opeth because it's "nice death metal"... if you're going to recommend Weakling, you might as well recommend Deathspell Omega or Blut Aus Nord.

Decadent said:
And I don't think that just because someone is an Opeth fan that they're going to 'get' Weakling. It's too outlandish... most people like Opeth because it's "nice death metal"... if you're going to recommend Weakling, you might as well recommend Deathspell Omega or Blut Aus Nord.

True.. I'm not a Black/Doom metal fan really, but Weakling just have those hypnotic guitar riffs that really sink in. I hate Blut Aus Nord. I know people seem to like them but I think they suck. :yuk:

Probably because Blut Aus Nord seem to be more blast-based... though I agree they wear down eventualy. I just think they have some great moments, especialy in their more ambient stuff (ie. the second half of "Our Blessed Frozen Cells" and "Procession of the Dead Clowns").

Moonsorrow
Bathory
Enslaved
Asmegin
Finntroll
Korpiklaani
Falkenbach
Thyrfing
Ensiferum
Adorned Brood
Eluveitie
Pagan reign
Otyg
Skyclad
Metsatoll

errr...

Solefald :tickled:

Opeth, Maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord, Psycroptic, Demilich, Miasma, Demigod, Vital Remains, Nokturnal Mortum, Graveland, Ephel Duath, Agalloch, Arghoslent, Astriaal, Isis, Cynic, Atheist, At The Gates, Burzum, Celtic Frost, Death, Dissection, Drudkh, Elend, Enslaved, Esoteric, Estradasphere, Extol, Gorguts, Grand Belial's Key, Suffocation, Graveland, Immolation, In The Woods, Judas Iscariot, Khanate, Katatonia, Lykathea Aflame, Mithras, Mutiilation, Nachtfalke, Necrophagist, Neuraxis, Nocturnus, Pan-thy-monium, Pelican, Sigh, Serpens Aeon, Spawn of Possession, Cryptopsy, Decapitated, The Chasm, Weakling, Winds, Ulver, Windir, Wicked Innocence, Dark Suns, Portal(US), Portal(AUS)....Fuck this...too many to list. Heh

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
Mutiilation
I recently had the pleasure of hearing this French band. Fucking expensive originals though... $100+ on ebay. Obscurity would be a good thing in principle, but to most people they would probably sound like redundant hitting of instruments anyway.

So... what are your thoughts? I'm personaly quite intruged, as there seems to be something completely un-explored in the music.

Seriously, forget all the aforementioned bands and only concentrate on Pain of Salvation. Though, Solefald is pretty fuckin' neat as well. And Porcupine Tree.

Longinus said:
Seriously, forget all the aforementioned bands and only concentrate on Pain of Salvation. Though, Solefald is pretty fuckin' neat as well. And Porcupine Tree.

Hopefully nobody takes your advice, because Pain of Salvation is horrible. And solefald is in a close 2nd for terrible bands.

but porcupine tree is divine.

As for Mutiilation...theyre overrated but decent for grim black metal, but not worth the $100 price tag that you already stated. But if you can find bootlegs or cheaper copies or MP3s, theyre worth checking out.

deliverance said:
do check them out, they're quite awesome.
Indeed they are... one of the members of the band posts over at GMD occasionaly. Well worth checking out for any fans of... unaverage death metal. They mix progressive styles and jazz influences with death and thrash... interesting for sure.