Songs not sung in Harsh vocals?

FireMarshal

Jul 23, 2007
Hey Opeth fans, I just gave Opeth a listen too the other day, and they have some fantastic music, however, I am NOT a Harsh vocals fan. I heard that Opeth has a mix of Clean and Harsh vocals, just wondering which songs I should check out.

Thanks!

The Damnation album is completely devoid of harsh vocals. Several songs from their other albums are good as well, such as Harvest (Blackwater Park), A Fair Judgment (Deliverance), and Isolation Years (Ghost Reveries)...There are a lot of others, but I'll leave them for others to list.

They don't have any "heavy" songs without the growling vocals, but they do have some with less, like "The Drapery Falls", "Reverie/Harlequin Forest" and "Bleak".
Then of course they have the ballads, for example "A Fair Judgement", "Face of Melinda", "Credence" and "To Rid the Disease".

Hope that's some help for you, and welcome to the forum!

Edit: And whatever antipunx said ;)

You forgot "To Bid You Farewell" (Morningrise) >.>

Anyway some of their songs have both harsh and clean vocals (in different moments :rofl:), like Black Rose Immortal (Morningrise), When (My Ams, Your Hearse), Moonlapse Vertigo (Still Life) and a lot of others

Go ahead and enjoy all the "clean vocal" songs, but I promise you'll be hooked to the "harsh vocal" ones in no time. Their music is just too good to be skipped.

I can almost guarantee you'll be hooked on the harsh vocals as well. I hated them when I first heard Opeth, I thought it ruined the whole band in a sense, but now I can't get enough. It just wouldn't do without.

I gotta agree with Misko, et al about the harsh vocals growing on you. I didn't like them at first either, but the clean vocals were so FUCKING great, and the songs were just mind-blowingly brilliant, and I became a harsh vocal fanatic because of Opeth.

You have found the greatest band on the planet, my friend...enkoy it ALL! :headbang:

Check out Benighted from Still Life as well for some amazing clean vocals...

I think a complete list of the songs without any harsh vocal would be this:

Orchid:
Requiem [instrumental]
Silouhette [instrumental]

Morningrise:
To Bid You Farewell

My Arms Your Hearse:
Prologue [instrumental]
Credence
Epilogue [instrumental]

Still Life:
Benighted
Face Of Melinda

Blackwater Park:
Harvest
Patterns In The Ivy [instrumental]
Patterns In The Ivy II
Still Day Beneath The Sun
[Last two on Still Day Beneath The Sun EP and on some special Blackwater Park edition]

Deliverance
A Fair Judgement
For Absent Friends [instrumental]

Damnation
The whole album! Which his

Windowpane
In My Time Of Need
Death Whispered A Lullaby
Closure
Hope Leaves
To Rid The Disease
Ending Credits
Weakness

Ghost Reveries
Hours Of Wealth
Isolation Years

Opeth is a "gateway" band, imo.

That's how it was with me, I've always liked metal but only a few bands because there is so much shit out there so I never really delved into it too deep. I went to Best Buy one day and saw "Blackwater Park" and decided to pick it up, only hearing their cover of Celtic Frost before that. Suffice to say, I was blown away and instantly addicted. I never heard music this amazing. I have always liked stuff like Radiohead (still do) and shit like that so I wasn't use to the growling. But I am telling you, the music just wouldn't be the same without it and once you start to get a feeling for that sound...you will never turn back.

Opeth is a "gateway" band, imo.

I heard Opeth when I was first getting into metal, didn't particularly like it at the time. After a while, I just started having cravings for heavier music than that of Symphony X and Dream Theater so I turned back to Opeth. Loved it ever since.