Auto Tuning HARSH vocals

Hey I was wondering what your guys approach is when you have Singing vocals that are more raspy.

They way I tracked this singer was I had them do a clean vocal and then dub a dirty grainy one as well.

I can easily tune the clean one, but the dirty one seems to get tons of artifacts and has some issues.

Any tips on how to tune harsh singing?

harsh vocals do not play well with any auto tune programs ... best bet is to just manually pitch shift the parts. You'll get a lot less weirdness from it and anything you might notice will most likely be masked by the clean vocal

A couple things that can help:

- Turn the detection mode all the way to "relaxed."
- Use graphical mode and manually grab the waveforms and move them to pitch (don't use the line tool). You can also highlight each individual waveform piece (they are usually split up in AT when the vocal is raspy) and hit "import to auto".

Raspy/screamy vocals can be tricky in AT and will ultimately come down to how the software tracks the singer's voice. Worst case scenario, AT won't be able to track his voice and he'll need to actually sing it in tune.

You can also try doing the regular auto-tuned clean track, and for the harsh track, just have him do it monotone and blend it with the clean track so that it sounds like one gritty melodic performance. Most AE savvy dudes will be able to tell its two performances layered, but it may give you the effect you're looking for.