Looking for the ideal Opeth song.

Jan 4, 2006
California
xatal.com
My Dad's curious about these "Opeth" guys that he always sees me wearing shirts of and mentioning, and he hinted that he'd like to hear a song by them.

My dad doesn't have a lot of patience, so I can probably only play him one song before he decides if he does or doesn't like it. I'm trying to find the one song that best showcases the various styles of Opeth.

Preferably, I'd like something that has Mike's harsh and clean vocals both at their best (obviously, not at the same time), and one that starts off with the harsh vocals before the transition to clean. Something that shows their instrumental skill would be great as well.

So far I've come up with:
"Bleak"
"The Moor"
"Serenity Painted Death"
"Master's Apprentices"

I have all 8 studio albums, so there aren't any songs I don't have access to -- just songs I probably didn't think of.

I'd go with 'The Moor' - it has a bit of everything. 'Ghost Of Perdition' is the other song that immediately sprung to mind.

Is he into the really heavy stuff? If not you could ease him in with a bit of 'Windowpane'

.....and then stick 'Demon Of The Fall' on after :headbang:

He likes classic rock, mainly.

What I was planning to do was through in a more typical Opeth song, then throw in something off of Damnation to show him that side as well.

"The Drapery Falls" would be ideal, except it starts with clean vocals. Nevertheless I'm still considering that one because it's such a badass song.

<_< "Demon of the Fall" is a good one too.

To bid u farewell.........that song put me upto Opeth........so freakin amazing...adn yet simple...PEAC EOUT

headbanger1547 said:
Preferably, I'd like something that has Mike's harsh and clean vocals both at their best (obviously, not at the same time), and one that starts off with the harsh vocals before the transition to clean. Something that shows their instrumental skill would be great as well.

If I were you, I'd pick When - without a doubt.

definitely Bleak ... it has an amazing catchy tune that immediately grasps your breath and draws your attention, and it goes over in clean voices and holds the attention until the end (even for people that don't know opeth yet).

otherwise I would say Harlequin Forest, to ease your dad into it starting with a good metalsong with clean voices, fading over in brutality ... and at the end let hours of wealth (next song) start, and there you immediately have such a beautiful mellow song, that can give shivers to everyone ...

Deliverance seems like a good choice to me, but if he's into classic rock then maybe not...
I think The Baying Of The Hounds would be a good idea, it has quite a classic feel, wilth 70's organs and major keys. It starts out with harsh vocals and then turns to clean, has mellow bits, and shows off that they're good. What more do you want?

The Drapery Falls - most definately. Even though Ghost of Perdition is now my favorite song (took over the spot from The Drapery Falls), I feel the song best exemplifies all that is Opeth.

The Drapery Falls is what I usually use to introduce new people to Opeth. I don't recommend Deliverance because yesterday I played the whole song on guitar for my mom and she said it was boring.

Well, it was Demon Of The Fall that made me interested. But it was after a month of listening ;P

So I'd say Ghost Of Perdition, Bleak or The Drapery Falls.

Since he's a classic rock fan I'd have to say Face of Melinda just because I think he'd appreciate the riffs at the end. Then Moonlapse Vertigo..who could not like that song?