The One Song You Feel Defines Opeth

Just to be an asshole:

The evil riff is 5/8 and then afterwards the cossack riff alternates between 5/8 and 6/8.

Moonlapse, you sure do make liking music sound like a chore. And Forest of October DOES have a repeated section: The part after the intro solo, and then again in the outro.

If the song must define Opeth as it has been since Orchid to this moment then I would say The Moor, but I think that songs on Orchid captures the dynamic spirit of Opeth better than any song on any other album. So let's say Apostle in Triumph. Beautiful and yet so powerful song.

Moonlapse said:
It seems you were ready beforehand to go against an opinion running along the lines of my own. I suppose with a thread like this it was inevitable.

I don't understand why you can't break Opeth down into eras. There are distinct periods in their music, although having constantly progressed, it has stood out from the material that came before it. .....

You seem to define the 'Opeth' sound as a mix of growling and clean vocals, heavy and mellow parts... well if that was the case, there is many bands out there that would be Opeth. It's very bad that people are led to believe that the contrasts are the only defining characteristic of Opeth, they do have narrow goals on each album, and each album does in fact have its own distinct sound, and despite what some say they have not 'progressed' as flawlessly as is fabled, because the change from Morningrise to MAYH is quite abrupt, as is the change from BWP to Deliverance.

Anyway, hope that helped clear up why I feel the way I do.
I did not have a pre-determined stance to go against the lines of eras vs. progression. Although I have been a piano player for 35+ years, and a listener all my life, I realize that my weaknesses in the music field are a technical understanding of a songs makeup. My listening to music and "analysing" it, I suppose, is rudimentary. My categorization of progression becomes broader vs. my envisionment of "eras" because of my understanding of the intricacies of music composition. It's a definitional flaw - probably on my part.

I'm taking a broad-based look at Opeth as a band, and I guess I have been ignoring anything Mikael himself has said about each album and it's change from any previous works. From a more simple listening viewpoint, I still feel that Opeth has been true to some base reasoning in their style of music composition and their portrayal of their music in their albums. My simplistic definition of the vocal mix and music styling is basic for sure. I tend not to over analyze what I listen to. I enjoy listening to music without digging too deep. For me personally, over analysis tends to lessen my enjoyment of music, which is probably why I've never studied composition and tried to understand it.

I honestly wasn't trying to start some mini-feud on the subjuct. I just want to be clear that I am taking a very simplistic and basic approach to this subject, which I fully realize that the more astute and knowledgeable musicians can easily poke holes in. I see how you break Opeth into eras - yet I still feel their music styling broad-based is a relative constant.

I understand metalman. I understood from the start what you were trying to say about the song, and yeah, you're right, the basic fundamental Opeth dynamics are there... those transitions, the structure all that is trademark of them... it's just that the song was executed in a more experimental way.

I honestly didn't expect my last post to end up being so large and anal sounding, but you asked me to describe why I feel the song isn't defining of them, and I suppose since lately I have been doing so much song writing and so much analysis on the structure of songs and what makes them good, I went overboard with that one.

Anyway, it was fun.

Moonlapse said:
I understand metalman. I understood from the start what you were trying to say about the song, and yeah, you're right, the basic fundamental Opeth dynamics are there... those transitions, the structure all that is trademark of them... it's just that the song was executed in a more experimental way.

I honestly didn't expect my last post to end up being so large and anal sounding, but you asked me to describe why I feel the song isn't defining of them, and I suppose since lately I have been doing so much song writing and so much analysis on the structure of songs and what makes them good, I went overboard with that one.

Anyway, it was fun.
That's cool - and in many respects I'm jealous. For somebody like myself who's been into music for so long, I disappoint myself in how little I know about the music I listen to and play. And you explained yourself perfectly. It really shows me the difference between a lover of music (me) and a musician (you) - it's the technical aspects where I'm close to clueless.

And it was fun. :)

MasterOLightning said:
The Leper Affinity. Has the heavy-clean transition, then back to heavy. There's the haunting piano solo at the end. It has everything.
Although I agree that Opeth have changed too much/often for them to have one definitive song. GO LEPER. And When.

Yeah, When is definately a good one. It seems though the more I think about it, the songs just aren't that broad, I honestly can't find one Opeth song that defines them through every period. I suppose that's a good thing then :)

I would have to say drapery falls or possibly when also. It seems, to me at least, to capture their range.

I, although I like to compare their hard from soft. Demon of the fall for a harder more dynamic song and basically anything from damnation, maybe in my time of need for a softer more structured track.

They've changed too much to narrow it down to one song. The two that I would pick would be Advent and The Leper Affinity.