new fan of opeth

mikedude

New Metal Member
Sep 5, 2004
i haven't heard much of opeth but heaps of ppl have recommended me to them..wondering what other bands opeth fans listen to...
what are some opeth songs to get into? thanxs
anyone here like at the gates?

mikedude said:
i haven't heard much of opeth but heaps of ppl have recommended me to them..wondering what other bands opeth fans listen to...

I can't speak for other Opeth fans, but a few bands I listen to are: A Perfect Circle, Arch Enemy, Bloodbath, Carcass, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Freak Kitchen, Kalmah, Katatonia, Killswitch Engage, Morbid Angel, Porcupine Tree, Sepultura, Shadows Fall, Slayer, and Soilwork. Let's see.... some good Opeth songs to check out... hm... I'm going to have to go with all of them [/omgfanboy]. Never heard any At The Gates.

Hi, I also listen to Therion, Slayer, Megadeth, Bloodbath, Paradise Lost, Arch Enemy etc.

Songs to start with are (I Think): The Leper Affinity, Godhead's Lament, The drapery Falls, Moonlapse Vertigo, Demon of the Fall, Deliverance, Hope Leaves, Forest of October, Windowpane, Harvest, Advent, wel actually averything...

Beg, borrow, buy or ste- no, it is wrong to steal an Opeth album...if you truly like music then you should support the musicians with some cold hard cash!
Where was i? Oh yeah! Just get your hands on either Still Life, My Arms Your Hearse or Deliverance. Listening to single tracks is ok, but you really need an entire album to take it in the context it was intended and really start to sink your teeth into the greatness that is Opeth. I guarantee satisfaction or your money back!

note: nothing guaranteed.

hey man,

cityofthemoon666 reccomends: Agalloch, Arcturus, Nevermore, Pain Of Salvation, Emperor, Katatonia, Kataklysm, The Mars Volta(different but awesome), fantomas, Vintersorg, Yes

Opeth Songs: The Moor, Blackwater Park, The Drapery Falls, Advent, Demon of The Fall, April Ethereal, Deliverance, Master's Apprentice, Windowpane

goodluck, hope you love all of them as much as i do

Recommendation threads acheive nothing. Therefore, I recommend:

Thrash
Sodom
Kreator
Slayer
Destruction
Artillery
(early) Metallica
(early) Sepultura
Megadeth
Anthrax
Exodus
Testament

Death

Morbid Angel
Psycroptic
Cryptopsy
Mithras
Death
Immolation
Demilich

Melodic Death/Black

Intestine Baalism
Arghoslent
Aeternus
Necrophobic
Dissection
Astriaal
Sacrementum
At the Gates

Black
Weakling
Deathspell Omega
Blut Aus Nord
Burzum
Windir
Abyssic Hate
Xasthur

*Takes a deep breath*... and finaly... Destroyer 666 and Summoning are highly recommended.

Skullzz--Glad to see I'm not alone in my liking of Killswitch Engage...

For getting into Opeth, my recommendation of a starter album is Blackwater Park. After that, my suggestion is to try and get My Arms, Your Hearse and Deliverance/Damnation (get these two together). After this, get Still Life. If you find yourself liking those, you may want to try Morningrise. Get Orchid last if you become a really serious fan.

Anyway, most of what I listen to is not metal (I am one of those infamous Damnation fans!), but there's a bit in there. My tastes are ALL over the map, so expect lots of oddball stuff you didn't think you'd ever see mentioned on an Opeth board!

Metal:

Opeth
Killswitch Engage
A bit of Symphony X
Metallica's S & M concert
May end up buying a Thrice album, we'll see

Classic rock:

Pink Floyd and solo works (particularly Rick Wright. But compare Mikael's voice to David Gilmour's, and Steve Wilson's to Rick Wright. Interesting...)
Talk Talk/Mark Hollis
Peter Gabriel
Jeff Beck
Steely Dan
Some Talking Heads/David Byrne
Some Led Zeppelin
Some Moody Blues
A bit of Stevie Ray Vaughan
A bit of Rush
A bit of Billy Joel
A bit of Black Sabbath

Other modern artists:

Sigur Rós
Enigma
Coldplay
Radiohead (although their most recent albums aren't so hot)
Mogwai
Some Loreena McKennitt
Some Marilyn Manson (hey, I don't care what people think, I enjoy what I enjoy)

Other artists:

Aaron Copland--classical
Beethoven
Bach
Igor Stravinsky--classical (seriously, "Rite of Spring" is the closest thing you'll get to metal in the purely classical world, in some places.)
Steve Reich--classical (modern)
Michael Kamen--film score composer
Hans Zimmer--film scores
Other miscellaneous film scores
Miles Davis--jazz
A bit of John Coltrane--jazz

And a few other miscellaneous albums here and there I haven't mentioned. But to sum it up, I seem to like almost everything that's not rap or country. ;)

mikedude said:

What I listen to - Slayer, Dream Theater, Agalloch, Decapitated, Cryptopsy, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Soilwork, In Flames, The Haunted, Dark Tranquility, Overkill, Testament,Led Zeppelin, Lamb of God, Obituary, Nile, Neurosis, Morbid Angel, Pink Floyd, Sepultura, and of course Bloodbath.

I also listen to a little Sigur Ros, Borknagar, and Carnal Forge.

Good Opeth songs to listen to are The Moor, Godheads Lament, Advent, In The Mist She Was Standing, Wreath, Deliverance, Leper Affinity, BWP, April Ethereal, Forest of October, and To Bid You Farwell.

mikedude said:

I highly recommend, not only you, but anybody on here to check out the band Between the Buried and Me (they're a different style then opeth, but an awesome band to check out). GO LISTEN! haha
www.betweentheburiedandme.com

sure.

they're not your normal "metalcore" band, if you want to call them that. they are original, have talent, they're really tight, and..maybe you won't like them, but i recommend them to people who are tired of hearing the same stuff, or want something out of the realm of normal death metal.

Well, at the moment I've got a huge pile of black and thrash metal stuff I've gotta listen to, so I may have to pospone checking them out for now... but if I see a CD around and I've got the dosh, I may pick it up.

cityofthemoon666 said:
hey man,

cityofthemoon666 reccomends: Agalloch, Arcturus, Nevermore, Pain Of Salvation, Emperor, Katatonia, Kataklysm, The Mars Volta(different but awesome), fantomas, Vintersorg, Yes

interesting that you said volta, they arent similar to opeth at all, they're not metal but if your open to different music you might like them. def check out agalloch and emperor too. and yes is pretty cool.

band i listen to other than opeth: cephalic carnage, dissection, bathory, venom, daylight dies.

mikedude said:

I recommend all of their albums, each is unique in its entirety. I listen to all genre of music, you can see some of my fave on my myspace.com page.. I like At tThe Gates. I ahve a few of their albums, and enjoy them all.

you should try and single-handedly start a resurgence of 80s hair metal. that would be cool.