Opeth + Strings = ???

Sep 29, 2004
I was wondering what some of the other opeth fans out there would think if opeth threw in some nice string arrange ments (violin, cello ect) into some of there new songs on the next album. I personally love the sounds strings can bring to a song the felling of sorrow and desperation that a violin can have is amazing. So what is everybody elses opinions?

i think a single violin or something could work on a mellow acoustic section. something selective and tasteful.

yeah i have 3 of thier cds i love them. But i agree with necramentia that if they ever used ythe strings they should use them sparingly. I think if they did this they could pull it off quite nicely.

I'd like to hear strings...but I agree with Moonlapse that their style might need some adjustment to fit them in...

Maybe they would've worked sparingly on Damnation? I just don't see the really heavy parts needing strings.

Yeah I love strings, they coukld make their music even more epic than it is. Plus Per could probably re-create them live on his keyboards.

id count on some mellotron in the new album, which would clear up the "string sound" pretty good, as well as some other options should they choose to use them.im up for any and all newer influences and elements opeth might use on the new album. as much experimentation and suprises is what im looking forward to...not a "safe" opeth album.

juat as long as they are actaul string recordings and not on the keboard. It is too easy to tell teh difference.

i wouldnt bet on actual string recordings....as i said before, if they go for a string sound...itll most likely be the mellotron again, due to mikael's and per's tastes...as everyones heard all over damnation already anywho.

indeed you can tell the difference, but i think youre out of luck for that. I personally think its a great instrument, and its gotten almost no use in the metal genre up till now, so i say bring it on in spades.