Strings?

FreddieMercury

No not the real one...
Jan 6, 2004
Bumfuck TN
This has probably been discussed before, but how does everyone feel about the synthesized strings in alot of Opeth's songs? Personally I feel like I'd rather hear real strings rather than the synth ones... Dont get me wrong i dont want a full orchestra (although i think an orchestral Opeth album would kick ass) because i know the stigma that comes from bands that use orchestras, but just a small string section. Its just that in some of the songs that really use the synth alot like near the end of Reverie/Harlequinn Forest Im almost totally focused on the synths and it gets distracting because it could never sound as real as real strings.

This has probably been discussed before, but how does everyone feel about the synthesized strings in alot of Opeth's songs? Personally I feel like I'd rather hear real strings rather than the synth ones... Dont get me wrong i dont want a full orchestra (although i think an orchestral Opeth album would kick ass) because i know the stigma that comes from bands that use orchestras, but just a small string section. Its just that in some of the songs that really use the synth alot like near the end of Reverie/Harlequinn Forest Im almost totally focused on the synths and it gets distracting because it could never sound as real as real strings.

are you sure you aren't the real freddie mercury?

Wow i completely put the wrong song in there, but you know what i mean more like whats at the beginning of Beneath the Mire and the end of Grand Conjuration and in alot of places on Damnation.

Yeah, it's not meant to be strings. It's (among other things) mellotron, which is a distinctive sound. Mike doesn't want it to sound like he's playing with a string quartet or orchestra. He wants it to sound like his prog faves. And it does, imo.

Would Opeth sound good with actual strings? Probably. Opeth would sound good accompanied by a kazoo.

Would Opeth sound good with actual strings? Probably.

Personally I think an orchestra in an Opeth song would sound horrible and just get in the way, though maybe just a single cello or even violin (like early My Dying Bride) might be all right.